Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   San Rafael Swell (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=14858)

BryanF 01-09-2011 07:08 PM

San Rafael Swell

Planning to register tomorrow would like to do the overnight run but I fear geography may defeat me. I can make Denver in 15hours 45mins, but I still have 5 hours + to get to Moab. What time will the overnight run leave out on Wed. AM? How far would I be out if I pushed into Rifle on Tuesday night?

Jacket 01-09-2011 07:21 PM

If its the same route as last year (the Swell), then the Wednesday route covers a lot of miles and they leave early - 9:00 or 9:30 IIRC. The good news is that the camp/start is close to the interstate, and you could probably hit them on the 2m.

wesintl 01-09-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanF (Post 172289)
How far would I be out if I pushed into Rifle on Tuesday night?

Probably close to 3 hrs

Hulk 01-09-2011 08:19 PM

If you can, you really want to get to the camp site Tuesday night -- it's not in Moab, but a bit further west on I-70. That way you will be ready to leave the next morning with the group.

BryanF 01-11-2011 06:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. Just not enough time this year to make it out by Tuesday. I did register to run Golden Spike on Thursday. Might be a good excuse for a new back bumper:rolleyes:

Corbet 01-11-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanF (Post 172520)
Thanks for the replies. Just not enough time this year to make it out by Tuesday. I did register to run Golden Spike on Thursday. Might be a good excuse for a new back bumper:rolleyes:

If not you might have an even better excuse when your done.:D

Your wise to skip the swell overnighter if you can't make it Tuesday night. Rifle would be a pretty big push in the morning. Finding the campsite is a little tricky if you've never been. I want about 4 hours from Rifle to make it on time. Keeping in mind you'd have to stop a top off the tank in Green River. Plus have your rig go through tech inspection on site.

Rock Dog 01-11-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacket (Post 172295)
If its the same route as last year (the Swell), then the Wednesday route covers a lot of miles and they leave early - 9:00 or 9:30 IIRC. The good news is that the camp/start is close to the interstate, and you could probably hit them on the 2m.

Kurt indicated it will be 80% new this year, only running about 20% of the last 2 years trails :D:D

The Swell is big enough to keep it new and exciting for years!!

Corbet 01-11-2011 10:02 AM

That's good to hear. I had a great time on the swell last year. But day one had way too much high speed wash board for my liking. Little more crawling around would be a nice addition.

Caribou Sandstorm 01-11-2011 01:33 PM

Hey Bryan glad to hear you are coming back out for another Cruise Moab.

I had a thought about your options. You could do part of the Kokopelli trip.

If you made it to rRfle Tuesday night, you cold take the Cisco exit off of I70 and take that road almost into Moab. At the Dewey Bridge you could make a left and wait for us there, we should be there mid morning sometime Wednesday, then proceed on the rest of the Kokopelli with us, which has some of the best features to come anyway...

Not sure if it is already full but this might work for you if there are spots open.

Hulk 01-11-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ (Post 172576)
If you made it to Rifle Tuesday night...

Fruita is only another hour and 15 minutes beyond Rifle. He could easily join you guys at the start, right? Are you all wheeling Kokopelli on Tuesday or just meeting that night?