Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Wilderness First Aid Course & Certification (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=15697)

Sweet Otter 05-12-2011 12:58 PM

Wilderness First Aid Course & Certification

1 Attachment(s)
We all prepare our vehicles for an overland trip. Are you prepared for a medical emergency in the backcountry? Do you need Wilderness First Aid Certification for job requirements?

I will be holding Wilderness First Aid classes with certification in various locations throughout Colorado mid-July through August, 2011. I hold private and open classes for organizations and individuals.

If you'd like to sign up for the course or would like to hold a class for your organization. PM me. Or contact me at kristinahall at mac.com

This is a fun and fast paced class with lots of scenarios and hands on learning. The class is 16 hours over 2 days. The WRFA is especially important to know while traveling for extended periods in the back country--either via foot, bicycle, motorcycle or car.

I work in partnership with the American Red Cross--I am an authorized Instructor and Instructor Trainer and teache CPR and Wilderness and Remote First Aid Training courses that will certify participants for 2 years with the American Red Cross.

This class will include CPR certification as well.

Here is the description of the course per the American Red Cross web site:
Designed for scouts, outdoor enthusiasts and those working in remote environments, this course teaches how to respond to an emergency when help may be delayed. This course is based on the Boy Scouts of America Wilderness First Aid Curriculum and Doctrine Guidelines and meets OSHA’s Best Practices for Workplace First Aid Training Programs.

Topics include:
Primary and Secondary Assessments
Head (Brain), Neck and Spinal Injuries
Heat-Related Emergencies
Hypothermia
Altitude-Related Illnesses
Allergies and Anaphylaxis
Burns
Bone and Joint Injuries
Wounds and Wound Infection
NOLS/WMI Wilderness First Responder
Overland Certified
KE7GVW

powderpig 05-12-2011 03:16 PM

I have known Kristina for a number of years now. She is top notch and is good with her skills. She has excellent communication skills and is fun to be around as well.
This is the course I recommend to many either last year or the year before to take if you want a class that will actually help you with first aide in the field. I believe that this should be the class we require for our trail leaders for Moab(at a min). Neil stated that he thinks our permit will require first aid and CRP in the future for our trail leaders. This class I believe will be only one step ahead of what may be required and will be something that will be useful as long as you keep up with it.
Anyhow for what it is worth, I recommend this to all of you.

CardinalFJ60 05-12-2011 03:27 PM

Thanks for the reference!

I think this is a great idea. As long as my schedule syncs up with what works for the masses, I'd be in. (I mean, I DO camp and wheel with Perry...I want to get better at 2nd degree burn treatments as well as facial contusions and abrasions.) ;-)

rover67 05-12-2011 05:00 PM

I would be interested depending on the dates.

Sweet Otter 05-12-2011 05:03 PM

Great! I will post up dates and locations soon.

Rock Dog 05-12-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Otter (Post 183000)
Great! I will post up dates and locations soon.

I remember Robbie talking about this course before!
And had nothing but good things to say about it. :thumb:

Just an FYI, we may be able to pass the word to some of the other groups that have permits with the BLM, and some of our sister clubs like Wasatch in Utah... Even the Proffits Cruiser guys affiliated with Greg Miller may be interested... The Black Hill's guys may have some interest.

I am definitely interested depending on the dates!:D

Thanks,
Neil

RockRunner 05-12-2011 08:12 PM

Just like all the others very interested but all depends on the dates. Also what will the cost be?

Red_Chili 05-13-2011 07:31 AM

I would be interested and may have some non-wheeling friends with interest.

leiniesred 05-13-2011 07:49 AM

Interested. Thank you.

timmbuck2 05-13-2011 08:26 AM

very interested also, hope all leaders and gunners have a chance to take this