Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Ham & CB Radio Corner (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Who could tune my new CB radio/antenna (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=15872)

Overlander 06-10-2011 01:59 PM

Who could tune my new CB radio/antenna

Just purchased a set: Uniden PRO510XL radio and 3ft Firestick antenna with radio/CB splitter. Would like to get this setup tunned so I can hear and talk on the June 22 trip with the group. Last thing I want is to be the 'terror of the airwaves' with a squeaky setup...

Can someone check out the setup and possibly tune it for me in the next couple of weeks leading up to the trip?!

Thanks,
James

Overlander 06-11-2011 03:58 PM

Is there a place in town that could do this type of work for a fee?! I hate to turn this thing on without a tune... there are warnings about frying the transmitter...

MDH33 06-11-2011 05:46 PM

This guy can tune it for you. Old-school local shop:

Radio Service Center
918 South Sheridan Boulevard,
Denver, CO 80226-8032
(303) 922-8107 ‎

Or you could buy an inexpensive SWR meter and do it yourself easlily. :thumb:

RicardoJM 06-11-2011 10:18 PM

So have you installed the cb and antenna yet? If you ran power from the battery and did not loop up your excess antenna cable; I believe you will be just fine. I have a cb antenna tuner, only been used once (when I put a cb in the 40) and you are welcome to use it to tune your radio. The actual tuning process is pretty straight forward and only takes a few minutes if the installation was "clean".

daveIT 06-12-2011 12:50 PM

Someone at the next meet probably has an SWR meter. I asked a similar question over on CO Land Cruisers and found someone in the Springs to help me.

DaveInDenver 06-12-2011 03:01 PM

Do you get to the south side? LMK next time you're south of downtown Denver and we'll get it tuned. Don't need the radio installed just as long as the antennas are mounted and you can get to the PL-259 connector.

Overlander 06-17-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicardoJM (Post 185028)
If you ran power from the battery and did not loop up your excess antenna cable; I believe you will be just fine.

Yes, I got the antenna mounted on the front bumper. I did run the power to the battery directly, but I ended up with several coils of excess antenna coax cable in my engine compartment... didn't see any other way to do this - I don't have a crimper like that for coax so I don't have a way to shorten that lead. Sounds like all that extra cable creates an undesirable situation...

RicardoJM 06-17-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlander (Post 185515)
Yes, I got the antenna mounted on the front bumper. I did run the power to the battery directly, but I ended up with several coils of excess antenna coax cable in my engine compartment... didn't see any other way to do this - I don't have a crimper like that for coax so I don't have a way to shorten that lead. Sounds like all that extra cable creates an undesirable situation...

Great, we should be able to tune it up at the meeting spot or when we are airing down at the trail head; it only takes a few minutes. The extra cable is not a problem if it is bundled in a figure 8, if it is coiled it is a problem. I should recall the details of why better, but perhaps Groucho and/or DaveinDenver will chime in with those details.

RicardoJM 06-21-2011 07:39 PM

I found my tuner and have put it in my 40. Look for the baby blue 40 with baby blue tube doors, white rims silver hubcaps in the parking lot. We'll get it tuned up for the run:D.

subzali 06-21-2011 09:24 PM

I'll have my tuner tomorrow but already have 2 that will probably need to use it; silver FJ40 :thumb: