Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   3rd gen runner with 285/75/16 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16680)

subzali 10-14-2011 11:15 AM

3rd gen runner with 285/75/16

I have a coworker with a 3rd gen 4runner running 285/75/16 with a small lift (don't know what brand). In order to fit that width of tire and clear the a-arm, he had to run 1/4" spacers.

When he took it to Discount to rotate the tires, they got the wheel off and refused to put it back on, because of the "dangerous" spacer. The store manager gave him a set of aftermarket rims for the time being, and swapped his tires onto the new rims. They will not swap them back short of him bringing the store just the wheels and tires by themselves, and leaving the truck at home. And then it will be $60 to mount the tires back on his original 3rd gen wheels, and he'll be back where he started, but now left to do tire rotations on his own.

Any suggestions? Jaderunner, Squishy?, thefatkid?

Corbet 10-14-2011 11:42 AM

find a new tire shop.

thefatkid 10-14-2011 11:55 AM

The 1/4" spacers are very dangerous. They leave very little threads left for lug engaugement. The factory studs only have 1/2" at the most.

That being said, Discount will not even rotate tires with the very safe, hub centric, spidertrax spacers. You could run those in the minimum thickness of 1.25". Another option might be to try LC80 wheels. The 8" width might be enough to move the tires away. Upper control arms that are aftermarket might have enough clearance to cure the rubbing.

I have 285/75/16 on my 3rd gen 4runner I just picked up. I don't have the engine rebuilt or a lift on so I can't comment on if the 80 wheels will clear the control arms. I have body contact 1st.

subzali 10-14-2011 12:58 PM

I've heard that the 80 series rims will work, but isn't the backspacing the same at 4.5"? If so, I'm having a hard time understanding how those would help.

thefatkid 10-14-2011 02:22 PM

Yes, back spacing might be the same..... The 80 rim is 8" wide instead of 7". This extra width, with the same backspacing, is outside of the wheel mount surface. Because you push the outer tire seat 1" further out it pulls the tire further to the outside/away from the upper control arm. This is why some wheel people talk in offset rather then backspacing.

subzali 10-14-2011 02:52 PM

I thought about it and that makes sense. You move the centerline of the tire away from the UCA, which allows the sidewall to shift away from the UCA, and it only needs 1/4" to clear. Thanks Brian.

Now, I think Jaderunner is running 285/75/16 on his 5-star 4runner wheels with no problems. Wonder how he does that?

AddictedOffroad 10-14-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 194248)
I thought about it and that makes sense. You move the centerline of the tire away from the UCA, which allows the sidewall to shift away from the UCA, and it only needs 1/4" to clear. Thanks Brian.

Now, I think Jaderunner is running 285/75/16 on his 5-star 4runner wheels with no problems. Wonder how he does that?

He runs spacers. Or, he clearanced the A-arm with a grinder so it will clear.

FWIW, I have never had Discount Tire give me a hard time about balancing tires when you have the bolt on spacers. And, they do pretty much all of my tire mounting/balancing for customers.

rover67 10-14-2011 03:45 PM

Discount does my 60 and I have bolt on spacers as well. they look at 'em funny but I catch them and ask them to check the torque on them too.

Cheese 10-14-2011 08:44 PM

The Discount up here went to hell, used to balance my beadlocks, rotate, check torque on my spacers when rotating.

New manager and things went to hell. I asked if he thought a 37" MT/R would fit up his butt. He wasn't impressed.

Good luck, but I would find another shop or tell the manager he is being stupid.

The standard fix is a cutting or a new A-arm, those spacers are ghetto.

TIMZTOY 10-14-2011 10:28 PM

if there is only a few threads catching.. then yes i can see compleatlly were he shop is comming from.. but if the exposed thread's are not a issue, then get a new tire shop... worst cast get longer studs if you dont want to get new rims.