Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Trip and Event Reports (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   White Rim Trip Solo...ish. (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16757)

Rezarf 10-31-2011 01:15 PM

White Rim Trip Solo...ish.

Some of my friends invited me along a trip to White Rim this past weekend. I rode as a sag wagon... I think it is a term for mountain bikers who start to "sag" behind, and they then get picked up in the sag wagon. However, in my case, it was because my rear was saggin' in a the loaded down 40.

I got to drive all day solo, then hang with everyone at night. It was a great trip, lots of time to myself and enough interaction with others to enjoy the weekend.

It was short trip, left friday morning and got home last night. The bikers did the trail in 2 days :eek: There were 13 of us all together! We carried all the gear, food, and :beer: for the trip in my 40 and a taco. It was an easy fun trail with non stop views.

We dropped in at Shafer and camped at Murphy's Campground (one of the best campsites ever IMHO). Then pushed onto Mineral Bottom and then onto I-70! :D

Very cool trip... gotta' get back out there.

FWIW, the :dinosaur: got 14.7mpg on the way there and 14.8mpg on the return with ~100 miles of dirt in between. :thumb:

I'll post up some pics once I resize them.

Drew

subzali 10-31-2011 01:49 PM

didn't happen. There's no pictures.

Rezarf 10-31-2011 01:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here you go! :D

wesintl 10-31-2011 02:00 PM

awe.. nice tent

Uncle Ben 10-31-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesintl (Post 195462)
awe.. nice tent

:eek:That tent is almost not family forum friendly! :lmao:

subzali 10-31-2011 05:40 PM

That's pretty good fuel mileage, was that based on your odometer or gps? Weird that it got better fuel economy coming back, since it's pretty much all uphill, though you would have been a little lighter (hopefully) coming back...

:bowdown: :zilla:

Rezarf 10-31-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 195470)
That's pretty good fuel mileage, was that based on your odometer or gps? Weird that it got better fuel economy coming back, since it's pretty much all uphill, though you would have been a little lighter (hopefully) coming back...

:bowdown: :zilla:

GPS.

Yeah, it was dead even there and back, I think the west to east route is steeper maybe? At least I was able to take the truck outta' gear and let it coast more on the Vail to Boulder stretch... and it was mo' cooler which might give a little more pop to the old 2F.

I was super stoked to get that kind of fuel mileage. I think with a 5 speed, I could get 18mpg! I might need to look into that verses an 8 cylinder.

Drew

Rezarf 10-31-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesintl (Post 195462)
awe.. nice tent

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben (Post 195464)
:eek:That tent is almost not family forum friendly! :lmao:

I think I am missing something? :o:confused:

Jacket 10-31-2011 09:27 PM

Nice! Love that last picture.

Caribou Sandstorm 10-31-2011 09:46 PM

Your 40 looked so happy!! Like this is where it belonged.. Really Cool..