Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Cruise Moab Trail Leaders (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   ingenious trail repairs you have seen/performed (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16854)

leiniesred 11-22-2011 10:45 AM

ingenious trail repairs you have seen/performed

Following up on the topic of how to handle breakdowns on the trail, I'd like to ask for the forum's input on some of the clever tricks used in the past to get everyone off the trail safely after a breakdown.

Example: Many years ago we had an 1976 FJ55 break down before the climb-out on Kane Creek. Turns out the aftermarket coil gave up. Towing the 55 up the steep ledges wasn't working so Cheeseman, Red Fox and I boogied to the end of the trail, Red Fox ran on into the Napa in Moab for a coil before they closed. I pulled the coil from my 1989 4runner in the parking area at the end of the trail and Cheeseman drove me and my coil back to the FJ55 while the other trucks worked up the steep section on the shelf road. We installed the 1989 4runner coil on the 1977 pig and drove it out. We caught up to the rest of the pack on the way out with the FJ55. By the time we got to the parking area, Red Fox was back in the parking area with the new coil from NAPA for the FJ55.

What's the point? swapping parts just long enough to clear the hard parts of the trail might be safer/faster than trying to strap, winch, and stack rocks so you can drag a dead truck out.

treerootCO 11-22-2011 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A standard hitch pin can replace the control arm bolts for an 80.

Attachment 26138

RockRunner 11-22-2011 01:53 PM

Gorilla tape and clevis hooks, that is what got Steve Brady out of Cliff Hanger. I did not do the fix but Steve, Scott Yoder and ........my memory fails me most likely Randy. They fixed the broken tie rod by shoving the stud back in the hole and putting some shackles around it with tape to keep it in place. It worked all the way to get him on the top plateau so we could get him on a trailer and back home.

I am sure those guys will jump in to give better details but it shows what you can do with Duct tape and some shackles.

FJBRADY 11-22-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockRunner (Post 196956)
Gorilla tape and clevis hooks, that is what got Steve Brady out of Cliff Hanger. I did not do the fix but Steve, Scott Yoder and ........my memory fails me most likely Randy. They fixed the broken tie rod by shoving the stud back in the hole and putting some shackles around it with tape to keep it in place. It worked all the way to get him on the top plateau so we could get him on a trailer and back home.

I am sure those guys will jump in to give better details but it shows what you can do with Duct tape and some shackles.

Randy, man of many talents, was not at work on this trail fix. Credit goes to the inginuity of Farnham and Corbet.:bowdown:

Broken piece of tie rod held together with a d-ring, clamp and Scott Yoders Gorrilla tape. Did not budge the whole way out.:thumb:

Uncle Ben 11-22-2011 02:54 PM

My favorite trail repair has been replacing a lost tie rod nut with a flattened beer bottle cap with a hole in it and wire "borrowed" from a nearby fence! :hill:

art hog 11-22-2011 03:15 PM

On the Rubicon trail I got a crack in my gas tank and was leaking gas at a fast rate. I took a bar of soap and worked it in the crack. It stopped the leak and I made it all the way back to San Diego. Drove it that way for months, until I had the time to drop the tank and fix it right. The rain would wash it out and I just add some more. always cary a bar of soap for a clean fix.

RockRunner 11-22-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJBRADY (Post 196958)
Randy, man of many talents, was not at work on this trail fix. Credit goes to the inginuity of Farnham and Corbet.:bowdown:

Broken piece of tie rod held together with a d-ring, clamp and Scott Yoders Gorrilla tape. Did not budge the whole way out.:thumb:

No more memory left need another 8GB to function well :o

Romer 11-22-2011 04:41 PM

when I broke my birf, TreerootCO had the idea to take the drive flange off and drive out with the broken birf. Saved us from doing the tear down on the trail and was able to do it back at camp

nakman 11-22-2011 05:18 PM

One time my roast was still very rare, despite about a 5 hour night run, only measured 132F by the in-cab thermometer. So :kevin: had this idea to cut it up into slices, then put it on his grill for about 30 seconds per side.. Eureka!! the brisket sandwiches were saved, and everyone got off the trail happy.

now that was a trail fix! :bolt:

nuclearlemon 11-23-2011 03:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Daryl surface and i sliced up.some coke cans and duct taped.them together when a kids carb caught fire and melted the carb spacer.

I used shreds of someones pringles can to shim my steering after wheeling Chinaman