Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What a difference (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=17547)

powderpig 03-24-2012 06:25 AM

What a difference

Well I have been stuck on Slow Mode with internet since we moved into the Mountains. The most reliable service was with Qwest. A slow 1.5Mbps. Well we got a card in the mail saying we could up grade to 7Mbps. I had heard we were going to get faster service here in Sunshine for a while. After the fire took out a bunch of wires(both xcel and Qwest). Qwest deceded to install optical fibre hub near the fire station on Sunshine county RD. Well it has only taken a little over a year for Centry link(formerly qwest) to start to upgrade every one.
Well, in talking to the rep from CL, we could get up to 20Mbps. I did not believe them, but ordered it any how. I hooked it up last Wed night and did some testing. Yes, we can test out a bit over 20Mbps on our lines:D:eek:.
All I can say is the internet is a whole difference experience now, and it is a real pleasure to have the higher speed. One good thing also, it did not cost us any more per month to get the higher speed service, we acutally are saving a couple dollars a month with the new service. Funny how that worked out. :thumb:

MountainGoat 03-24-2012 08:49 AM

I had a similar experience here in Conifer. Called to upgrade from 1.5 to 7 mbps. They told me I could get 20 and it would be cheaper than my (then) current service if I bundled it with my phone. There was also no contract. So I did it and now I pay $10 less per month. 20 mbps rocks compared to 1.5! :headbang:

60wag 03-24-2012 08:58 AM

I recently upgraded from 1 to 10 Mbps with Century Link. Now I can watch Netflix while my daughter is watching something else. The downside is that my modem now makes it difficult for a computer to join the network. I don't know if its a setting or my ancient Actiontec modem but I have to frequently reset it for a device to get access to the network.

Hulk 03-24-2012 09:03 AM

I ended up buying a new modem from Century Link when we upgraded our service. They said the old one couldn't handle speeds more than about 8 Mbps.

DaveInDenver 03-24-2012 10:45 AM

We've been on 20/5Mbps DSL since 2008, it really is fantastic. Although a lot of the Internet has caught up and so it's a little less ridiculously fast now. :-) When we upgraded we punted the land line and our price stayed the same despite losing the bundled price of a dial tone and 7Mbps.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 207671)
I ended up buying a new modem from Century Link when we upgraded our service. They said the old one couldn't handle speeds more than about 8 Mbps.

It's possible since doing 20Mbps requires an ADSL2+ compatible modem and the older ADSL and ADSL2 specs topped out at 8 or 12Mbps (depends on a few things). A bigger problem right now is the >20Mbps jump since to get 40Mbps you'd need an ADSL2+ modem capable of channel bonding and two circuits from the pole. I have an older refurbished ADSL2+ 2Wire 2701HG that I bought from Qwest for $99 that has been rock solid for years now, but it doesn't support port bonding even though our house is qualified for it.

Corbet 03-24-2012 07:30 PM

Century Link upgraded our subdivision last fall. We went from 2 to 8 mbps. Huge difference. I can only imagine 20:drool:

wesintl 03-24-2012 08:52 PM

welcome to the information age. Now Davis can skype with you when he has wrenching questions :D

Red_Chili 03-25-2012 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
CL doesn't do DSL at the top of N. Turkey Creek, so I was stuck with Skybeam (slow) or Comcast (fast but $$$). I must say I am quite content with Comcast speed.

Attachment 27736