Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Trip and Event Reports (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Jenny Creek Tree Investigation Run 4/16/12 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=17693)

subzali 04-17-2012 06:21 AM

Jenny Creek Tree Investigation Run 4/16/12

So there are no trees across Rollins Pass Road or Jenny Creek up to the "Gatekeeper" snowdrift. That is all...:bored:

:D

subzali 04-17-2012 06:40 AM

I learned a handful of things:
-31" tires at 10 psi will float on consolidated snow on a lot of instances, but if there's a soft spot and you break through you're probably not coming back up.
-31" Goodyear MT/Rs at 10 psi don't hold to snow quite as well as 40" IROKs at 4 psi.
-Having a rear locker but no front locker on off-camber snowdrifts can be quite an interesting experience.
-I need to keep the steering wheel straighter but anticipate the movement of the vehicle on the drifts to help point me in the direction I need to go. As usual, I need more practice.
-According to Jacki, my 31" tires look "really small" compared to Wild Rice's 40s :o :bowdown: :Princess:
-The 2F is a boat anchor :eek: :bolt:
-Oh yeah, Wild Rice is a machine that works ridiculously well, and is very well thought-out and keeps a lot of that cool old retro style. I love those LEDs in the chrome bezels, I should have gotten a picture.

subzali 04-17-2012 06:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Okay, pictures.

1: Wild Rice ready to rumble.
2: Small drifts and a small amount of snow on the first leg of Rollins Pass Road.
3: Snow got deeper as we went, it wasn't long before we were making fresh tracks.
4: Wild Rice gettin' it.

subzali 04-17-2012 06:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got tugged a couple times through some spots in order to get to the JC trailhead, and once we got there I hopped in with Uncle Ben to check out the JC conditions. It quickly became obvious that there was no way I would try to follow UB and WR on JC. But WR kept going right through. Made it look easy. I was thinking to myself, "even if I had a vehicle that could do what we're doing right now, I'm not sure I'd have the guts to drive on this stuff." It's narrow, with trees on both sides, off-camber, with big piles of snow scattered all over.

I was so excited that I forgot my camera for this part :(

We worked our way to the gatekeeper snowdrift, which was huge! It was probably at least 12 feet deep! The road after the drift had a lot more off-camber drifts, so we figured it was best to turn around. And then WR got stuck.

Digging 40" holes is fun :D

And then just a couple more pictures for fun. Two very different FJ40s.

subzali 04-17-2012 07:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
We continued up Rollins Pass Road to the notch above the Gatekeeper snowdrift, and it was even huger! Probably 20' deep, but solid. UB drove WR right up it, and even I was able to follow! He went straight through the notch, while I held back and went around the other way, not wanting to risk too much today.

subzali 04-17-2012 07:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
After exploring just a little further up RP Road, we turned around to head for a protected spot for lunch. It was about 2pm, so we were hungry. The snow had been drifting in and out all day, but we caught lunch during a sunny spell with a few snowflakes drifting down and glittering in the sun. It was a gorgeous day.

UB decided to break open the campsite just a little below JC. He promptly managed to bury his 40s again and so that gave us an excuse to pull the winch cable.

subzali 04-17-2012 07:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The rest of the drive was pretty uneventful, I had to get another tug to get across his ruts to get out of the campsite :) The sun was out and it was pretty warm.

subzali 04-17-2012 07:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
And then there was the obligatory poser shot. Too cool. There's a craftsman who's proud of his creation. :wrench:

subzali 04-17-2012 07:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The Brahma looks pretty tame in comparison.

Okay, so THAT is all. Well, not quite. There is video forthcoming ;)

60wag 04-17-2012 07:41 AM

Nice shots. There is more snow on Rollins Pass road than I expected.

Is there info from your trip that should be brought up at the BRD meeting Thursday?