Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What GPS Units Do Members Have? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=177)

gcmandrake 09-14-2005 09:55 PM

What GPS Units Do Members Have?

In the spirit of Ken's question, I was wondering what GPS units people have. Hopefully, I can get some of the manuals on-line for the class next month.

Matt

nuclearlemon 09-14-2005 10:45 PM

i have an etrex. do you need to borrow my manual?

Seldom Seen 09-14-2005 11:17 PM

Garmin V+ and 301.

leiniesred 09-15-2005 09:19 AM

Garmin GPS III+

Yep, it is an oldie. but, it works well and I'm familiar with it.

Lindsay and I take it GEOCACHING and we took it on the last road rally we ran.

I use it snowshoeing as I have "misplaced" my truck a time or two.

It hooks into my laptop with MS streets and trips on it and works great. It also has seen use while WARDRIVING (locating wi-fi hot spots) using NetStumbler and other linux based tools.

It has favorite camping spots marked around the country from years of service. It has never let me down. It lacks fancy stuff like a color display and it only has what? a meg of writeable memory so you can't get the detail you can with today's units.

-LeiniesRed

Bobzooki 09-15-2005 02:41 PM

I have an old Magellan - it works GREAT!

CardinalFJ60 09-15-2005 03:38 PM

eTrex Venture

I've got the eTrex Venture - no topos or maps, and not much memory. but would be great to get back to your 'starting point'.

farnhamstj 09-15-2005 11:16 PM

e-trex

E-trex and topo software for laptop. Works great if I remember to upload the maps and carry a Gazateer. Always carry a gaz.... Cause rearly do I have the planning skills to upload and the screen is so freaking tiny anyway.

Hulk 09-15-2005 11:21 PM

I have a Garmin GPS V (five). I don't know much about it. I've never hooked it up to my laptop, but I will make the attempt before our next meeting.

Matt

nakman 09-16-2005 07:50 AM

Running the Delorme GPS & topo software, hooked into the laptop. It's cool because it's big, easy to see, etc.. but also pretty cumbersome. And I've been fairly disappointed with the accuracy of the topos.. like it doesn't see any road at Jenny Creek, just Rollins pass. Also my laptop battery only lasts about 5 minutes, so I've got to have my inverter on the whole time which makes my CB staticky. But that's a separate issue, obviously, though still why I don't use the laptop much any more.

Definitely interested in the October deal, hope to learn something!

powderpig 09-16-2005 08:24 AM

What version of the Delorme software are you using tim? I also am considering this route, but with a small lap top (12 inch), just thought the bigger ones were too big for the cabin in front. later robbie