Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Brake controllers? Where to mount and what one to buy? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=17839)

Corbet 05-14-2012 08:15 PM

Brake controllers? Where to mount and what one to buy?

Need to get a brake controller in the 80. What recommendations do you have on the controller its self and where did you 80 owners mount them? I've seen the ashtray mount on MUD, not my cup of tea. Definitely not mounting at my knees.

I've thought about a ram mount up by the rear view mirror. Like many have done HAM remotes. I've also considered tearing one apart and running the controls to switches I can mount cleaner in the dash then hiding the unit under the dash somewhere. Probably a lot of work to just end up ruining a controller in the process.

Basically it needs to be accessible but I hate the look of the things bolted/hanging to the dash somewhere. My HAM remote is already in the center console backplate behind the shifters.

wesintl 05-14-2012 08:27 PM

I have a prodigy brake controller right below the hand throttle. It's never bothered me and I'm taller than you.

RockRunner 05-14-2012 10:19 PM

Prodigy, I have had three of them and all have worked great. You have to be careful of how you mount some of them due to the internals of the newer ones. Can't help you on where to mount it, sorry.

treerootCO 05-15-2012 08:35 AM

I have a prodigy brake controller in the Duramax mounted by my knees.

pmccumber 05-15-2012 09:20 AM

I've had a Prodigy for 6 years and really like it. I mounted my on the IO panel on the left. I ordered a second IO panel so I don't have to look at the brake controller when I'm not using it. Did the same thing in the 4Runner.

jonharis 05-15-2012 10:12 AM

Based on the Ease of install and the reviews I've read online I'm planning on putting a Prodigy RF on the Adrenalin.

corsair23 05-15-2012 11:30 AM

Mine is an old school voyager brake controller that must be mounted within a certain range of "level" so mine is mounted to the left of the center console, above the skinny pedal, on the flat part of the dash trim. Like THIS picture, only down lower so that the bracket is mounted to the botton flat part of the panel.

In the 5 years it has been there I have never hit it with my leg or knee.

Sounds like you want a new, self leveling, controller that is more flexible in how you mount it (angle wise). Just remember that you need to be able to change the settings so you either need to leave the unit intact or figure out how to wire in controls.

MUD thread that you might have already read --> http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...ontroller.html

jonharis 05-15-2012 12:49 PM

I think post #4 in that thread deserves a repost.

Regarding mounting on the dash near the right knee.

"That area is a deformable structure, impact zone for your knees, legs in the event of a big accident. Think twice before mounting anything there, how would that handle feel embedded in your leg?"

Another reason that I choose the RF version was that I can very easily change rigs as the controller goes with the trailer. If I let someone borrow the trailer or ever decide to bite the bullet and get a 62, it is a 30 second job to give them the controller.

wesintl 05-15-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonharis (Post 211344)
Regarding mounting on the dash near the right knee.

"That area is a deformable structure, impact zone for your knees, legs in the event of a big accident. Think twice before mounting anything there, how would that handle feel embedded in your leg?"

maybe something to think about but if it was really a concern rv and trailer companies would not mount it there and brake controller companies would explicitly say it in the mounting instructions.

How many thousands of them have been mounted there in every type of vehicle and if it really was an issue it'd be all over the internet. otherwise all i ever find when i look it up is arm chair drivers that mention this factor. No data or injuries to back it up.

jonharis 05-15-2012 02:11 PM

Looking at the percentage of vehicles that have non OEM brake controllers, and the percentage of vehicle accidents that result in a deformed dash in that area, and the percent of vehicles that have both, I would suspect that there is a lack of statistical evidence either way. I just try to minimize my exposure as much as possible to things that may (or may not) cause or exacerbate an injury. If I was going to do a hard mount of a controller it very likely may end up there but it wouldn't be my first choice.