Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   My Power Steering pump is leaking bad... (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18160)

Overlander 07-09-2012 11:35 AM

My Power Steering pump is leaking bad...

I'm heading for a rebuild of my P/S pump on my '95 FZJ80 - got a big stain in my driveway to prove it.

How difficult is this job? I know I can order a rebuild kit from IH8MUD.com but I wonder if the pump alone is what I should be replacing or if the hoses (low pressure/high pressure) should also be replaced in the process? The full set of parts that Beno on Mud had quoted me totaled around $250!

Thx - James

MountainGoat 07-09-2012 12:33 PM

Are you sure the pump is leaking, or could it be a hose?

I blew a low pressure ps return line 2 years ago on Yankee Hill and replaced it with a piece of fire extinguisher hose. :hill: When I went back in to do a proper fix, last year (!) I noticed another low pressure ps return line that was petrified, similar to the one that blew. Both hoses felt like they were made of pvc, they were so hard. Those 80 series engine bays are like a pizza oven man.

You might check these before you worry about a full pump rebuild. It helps if you pull the battery and tray for access. You can buy the line fairly cheap at any auto supply store. :thumb:

Overlander 07-09-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainGoat (Post 214655)
...replaced it with a piece of fire extinguisher hose. :hill:

Heheh - good one. I see what you mean - need to do a deep dive under there... it's ugly though. May need to do a carwash to get rid of the gunk so I can see something other than the oil and grime.

Thx -

Snowrun 07-09-2012 02:04 PM

I am with Dan. I have seen that low pressure line cause leaks twice. If it does turn out to be a PS pump issue I would just buy a new one and forego the rebuild.

60wag 07-09-2012 04:01 PM

The leak on mine was the o ring that seals the back cover on the pump. No need for a full rebuild.

Overlander 07-09-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60wag (Post 214683)
The leak on mine was the o ring that seals the back cover on the pump. No need for a full rebuild.

So you just bought the single O-ring? I guess finding it is the key... trouble is that it's not easy.

coax 07-09-2012 08:24 PM

If you're in there you might as well do it all. The pump rebuild kit is not expensive. High pressure hose is pricey but some have used the napa with good results. 2 low pressure lines are cheap and easy when doing the rest. Good luck!

Inukshuk 07-09-2012 09:37 PM

The rebuild is very easy and I have a spare pump. Having done the rebuild I assure you that its very unlikely the metal parts of the pump are bad. Come by with the o-ring kit we can rebuild my spare (off of a 170,000 mile 1994 1FZ-FE) in 30 minutes (taking our time) and then you can take it and swap it out and bring me yours later. Why you should do the entire rebuild if you are pulling the pump is that leaky internal seals allow different chambers to mix and reduce the strength of the pump. At worst you will have cavitation which can result in total pressure loss (ask me how I know) and that can lead to metal damage.

Only thing I do not have is a impact gun to R&R the gear nut and a puller to get the gear off. Bring those and we are set. If not I can do what I did last time and go to Treeroots to pull it (this time I'll wear gloves!)

Hoses are good to replace anyway, and all but the high pressure line are regular hose you can buy in bulk inexpensively. I have had good luck with the Gates high pressure line but it was not a perfect seal at the gearbox at first.

The PS pump writeup by Romer on mud is spot on. The trick to getting the lines off the gearbox is to go in via the wheel well. I have flare wrenches too.

After re-installation you will want to bleed the air from the system using the proper technique. Not difficult, just uncommon.

Short term Lucas Stop Leak really works and I still have half a bottle you can have. I'm in Sloan's lake.

TIMZTOY 07-11-2012 09:06 AM

If your low pressure lines keep poping off or simmilar. Then there is another issue. That needs to be addressed.
If the low side keeps leaking or poping off there is a restriction in the Low side. Most likely the pump. But could be restriction at the resivor it self. the cap, expect happy if the cap is spring loaded. Or worst case senerio the gear box.
I'd see how much for a new or reman pump That's typically a lot easier. I don't think I rebuilt but only one pump because it's cheaper to just replace it.
But that's a shop. Because the time to rebuild it + parts kit is more expensive than just swapping pumps.
But if your time is free to you then it's cheaper to rebuild.
But it May still be bad even after rebuilding it.

Overlander 07-13-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inukshuk (Post 214709)
Come by with the o-ring kit we can rebuild my spare (off of a 170,000 mile 1994 1FZ-FE) in 30 minutes (taking our time) and then you can take it and swap it out and bring me yours later... I'm in Sloan's lake.

Thanks - I may need some help with that, so thanks for the offer. I'm in Westminster (112th and Federal), so you're pretty close.