100 door lock motor replacement: anyone done it?
Has any RS'er done the 100 door lock motor replacement? There is lots of discussion of this on Mud, and I have read all that, but would like to hear from someone here who has done this. Raise your hand if your experienced!:)
Never done it, but I'm gonna use the MUD thread and give it a try. I have one going bad.
i cant imagin that its any diffrent than any other door lock.
i can do it. its pretty easy.
heck you can do it. the hardest part is removing the door panel
Reading MUD you have to pull the actuator apart and replace the motor (yes motor) that actuates the lock(s). It does not look like that big of a repair.
Just did it a couple weeks ago, not hard. Toughest part for me was getting the door panel off and the actuator out. It was my first time with the 100 panel and I should've just pulled the FSM out to start with, as soon as I did, no problem. If you don't have the FSM, I can send you the pages.
Once I got the actuator out, the motor half cracked apart pretty easily
pop old motor out, wipe black crud off contacts, take the little copper end off the old motor and put on new, pop the new motor in
plug the door switch back in to the harness, plug the actuator back into the harness
hold the plastic halves together with your hand while trying the door switch to make sure it works
unplug the actuator and set aside
repeat on all the other doors you want to do
then mix up some epoxy, dab a little in 4-5 spots on the two actuator halves
clamp together and rubber band tight
I let mine dry overnight before messing with them again
then I plugged them all back in and made sure they work and the epoxy holds
button the panel all back and enjoy
use a razor blade to cut the black goo that holds clear door film on and it will go back on much nicer.
I just did mine. Getting everything apart is always the easy part..... Getting it back together was what took a while. Now that I know how everything works, I think it could be done in an hour.
Couple of things...
There is no need to break any of the plastic tabs on the latch/arms. Seems like everyone on mud was breaking those off, they just rotate and unseat. As a matter of fact, there is no need to break anything, a little patience and common sense and it can be done.
I have a 2004 and my actuator motors have a flat spot on the shaft that drives the gear. I had to pull the small collar off the replacement motor and use a Dremel tool to file a flat spot on the shaft.
I just used a hair dryer on high to melt the glue on the clamshell to get the actuator motor out. Don't forget to glue the clamshell back together.
Happy to give someone a hand if they're about to tackle this. It would have been nice to have someone there who'd already done it when I got started. It took me a good few hours to get the first one done.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.