Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Clutch Replacement FJ40 SBC Conversion (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18415)

Bruiser 08-28-2012 07:22 AM

Clutch Replacement FJ40 SBC Conversion
 
Well, my clutch went out the other day but luckily I was in the driveway. Now I have to replace it and thought I would see anyone had any suggestions on other services I should perform while I have my transmission dropped.

This is a SBC conversion to a stock 78 FJ40 4 speed.

Right now I am planning.
  • real main seal
    clutch
    Transmission Front Nose Cone Seal
    some new gaskets in several places
    dual-seal speedometer housing

I was also wondering if anyone knew what clutch I need to get to replace the old one. Right now the clutch I have works with the stock toyota clutch plate. Everything I have see online (mostly centerforce) has the centerforce clutch with and aftermarket gm clutch plate. I probably should replace the clutch plate anyway but is it safe to assume the centerforce plate will work with my flywheel?

Any help you all can provide is much appreciated.

Justin

nattybumppo 08-28-2012 12:08 PM

Look at the clutches Marlin Crawler offers. Dean vouches for the 1200 pound one, but maybe for a SBC you should get the 1600 pound model.

Bruiser 08-29-2012 06:00 AM

It does not look like Marlin offers one for a FJ40 SBC conversion. Thanks for posting up though. I saw a couple of other things I liked at Marlin that might go on the christmas list:D

Air Randy 08-29-2012 07:10 AM

I think advanced adapters lists the clutch discs and pressure plates to use. Once you know the correct part numbers you can buy the parts locally. While you have it apart you should plan on getting your flywheel resurfaced before you install the new clutch parts.

nuclearlemon 08-29-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruiser (Post 217507)
  • Transmission Front Nose Cone Seal

do you mean the front bearing retainer gasket? why would you replace that? is yours leaking? they don't usually need replacement.

on the clutch, i did a 69 impala 6cyl iirc, but i can get you numbers when i get home. found a luk clutch real cheap online.

Bruiser 08-29-2012 08:27 AM

That is good info Ige. I am not sure what is leaking, there is oil/tranny fluid all over the place down there. I actually think it is more likely the rear main seal that is bad and I do plan to replace that.

I also know I am leaking out of the back of the TC at the speedo housing and I will fix that too.

I certainly don't want to remove things I don't have to but while I have it out and while the fluid is out, I thought it was a good time to try to find the leaks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearlemon (Post 217581)
do you mean the front bearing retainer gasket? why would you replace that? is yours leaking? they don't usually need replacement.

on the clutch, i did a 69 impala 6cyl iirc, but i can get you numbers when i get home. found a luk clutch real cheap online.


Bruiser 08-29-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Air Randy (Post 217579)
I think advanced adapters lists the clutch discs and pressure plates to use. Once you know the correct part numbers you can buy the parts locally. While you have it apart you should plan on getting your flywheel resurfaced before you install the new clutch parts.

Randy,

last time I had the flywheel out, 5 years ago, it looked and seemed perfectly smooth. You think it is a good idea to resurface anyway? Any shops you would recommend?

Justin

nuclearlemon 08-30-2012 07:08 PM

this was my order from partsgeek.com

Parts Ordered
1969 Chevrolet Impala Clutch Kit Clutch Price: $81.85 Core: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: 04-072



Sub Total: $81.85
Shipping: $7.95
Handling: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Core: $0.00
Total: $93.75

Air Randy 08-30-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruiser (Post 217589)
Randy,

last time I had the flywheel out, 5 years ago, it looked and seemed perfectly smooth. You think it is a good idea to resurface anyway? Any shops you would recommend?

Justin

If there are any rough spots or discoloring, get it resurfaced. If you are going to the trouble of putting in a complete new clutch you dont want it chattering because you cut corners on the flywheel. Any parts store, NAPA, Autozone, etc should offer flywheek resurfacing.

Bruiser 08-30-2012 08:40 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.