Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   The Bike Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Any "wuss" riders here? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18429)

AxleIke 08-30-2012 09:56 AM

Any "wuss" riders here?

I've seen all the ride threads and so on, but they are people who are braver/better/more skilled than I on riding.

Anyone here who rides at a "not so in shape" pace?

My skill level is at Buffalo Creek really, the easier trails. I can't do jumps, and I don't go up hill very well unless its smooth. Mostly because I am a "wuss" and don't like falling off the bike. I also tend to panic when I get out of control, and thus fall off more than most.

So, I'm a slow rider compared to others I see on the trail ( I get passed a lot).

I have terrible luck, and as such, try to avoid injury (bills are expensive). A perfect example is breaking a leg while 4wheeling on a very mild trail. That is my type of luck.

So, I thought I'd post up to see if anyone else is in this boat, and perhaps hasn't posted, or whatnot, and see if there is interest in those types of rides.

Cheers.

smslavin 08-30-2012 10:10 AM

An old coach had once told me, "In order to go fast, you need to learn to go slow." I've kept that as part of my training mantra for 25 years. Slow rides are just as fun as going balls to the wall. If I can get scheduling to work, count me in for one.

DaveInDenver 08-30-2012 12:34 PM

Art Hog is a wuss and kinda slow, too. I've never seen him fall, though. FWIW, I ride at the speed of the group with the exception of a couple of my regular riding buds. On those rides I (like they) try to hurt them. But these are people I've been riding with for 10, 15 years and can sense weakness or fear. :-)

Caribou Sandstorm 08-30-2012 08:21 PM

I am as slow as they come up hill..

Dave is fast don't let him fool ya..

I met Dave many, many moons ago when I started riding Wednesday nights although he probably doesn't remember meeting me, he crushed me like a cheap beer can..:o

Corbet 08-31-2012 07:32 AM

I'm so out of shape I definitely qualify as a wuss rider right now. We have a great selection of trails down here in Durango. Just make your way down and I'll prove how slow I am. On the uphill anyway;)

Caribou Sandstorm 08-31-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbet (Post 217739)
I'm so out of shape I definitely qualify as a wuss rider right now. We have a great selection of trails down here in Durango. Just make your way down and I'll prove how slow I am. On the uphill anyway;)

Umm yeah, another ex-racer not to be trusted...:) but will definately bring my bike next time in town. No doubt you know all the best trails.

DaveInDenver 08-31-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm (Post 217752)
Umm yeah, another ex-racer not to be trusted

It's all relative Chris, I'm a Masters (meaning old fart) CAT2/3 (meaning average Joe Racer) and get my butt handed to me every race.

nakman 08-31-2012 10:10 AM

Never raced, never made it to the top of the hill first, usually not the first to the bottom either. Never met an obstacle I didn't mind walking. what a great thread! :snail:

AxleIke 08-31-2012 11:35 AM

Excellent. That is the type of ride I was referring to. Just a "go at your own pace", nothing to prove, type ride. Walking obstacles is what I do, so Tim is on the same page as I.

Good to know, thanks for posting up!

Perhaps a ride can be arranged at some point in the future.

smslavin 08-31-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver (Post 217753)
I'm a Masters (meaning old fart) CAT2/3 (meaning average Joe Racer)

if you're racing cat2/3, you are anything but average joe racer. thinking about trying to don a number again next season. it's been about 15 years since i've done that but i'm riding stronger/smarter right now than i have in years and i've got the bug.