Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Broken 80 series radius arm hanger (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18438)

Corbet 09-02-2012 07:24 PM

Broken 80 series radius arm hanger

4 Attachment(s)
So now that the family is gone, I finally had time to start breaking down the 80 today to access the damage.

I had an occasional death wobble since mid July this summer. Then 3 weeks ago my axle housing started dropping a mixture of 90wt and moly grease from the passenger side radius arm hanger. I feared a large crack had developed in the axle tube.:eek:

After breaking it down today it looks like I may be able to repair the housing with the addition of some caster correction plates to re-enforce the hangers. Glade I did not jump the gun and order a new housing.

Looks like filling the hole should be easy. When the hanger broke off it pulled some of the axle tube weld with it causing the leak. Then its just a matter of lining up the hanger, tack, and install the caster correction plates in as well. Maybe ad some additional gussets? We'll see. I'll pull the caser correction bushings out of the radius arms and install new OEM bushings. I have a set of 30mm lift spacers on the shelf. That will take me to 3"+ lift overall. Caster should be OK. More is better than less, I figure.

Pics of the damage. Will post up progress as the repair proceeds.

corsair23 09-04-2012 01:54 PM

:eek:

Looking forward to seeing the repair process :thumb:

spcruiser 09-04-2012 11:53 PM

Glad to see it is a repair you can do vs. replacement housing.

powderpig 09-05-2012 05:13 AM

Corbet, you may also want to weld up your sway bar tab before you weld this in place. This tab can be broken off and take a brake line out. When this happened to me several years ago, I first welded up the hole, then tacked the bracket in place. I welded inside and out side of the bracket to axle houseing. Welded the brake and all has been good for several years.
Good luck with your project.

Corbet 09-07-2012 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Robbie.

I have a set of Landtank's sway bar tabs for the front axle housing that I have never installed. So I'll weld those in during this repair. After I get Slee's caster plates I'll lay out the overall welding plan. But I'm hoping I can get the OEM bracket reattached pretty solid before adding the caster plates and what ever other creative idea/s I come up for in gussets. I'm planning on adding something to support the knuckle balls too. Kind of like this:

Corbet 09-09-2012 11:20 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Progress report:

Axle is out. Not too bad. The electronics for ABS and the lockers were honestly the biggest PITA for some reason. Housing is gutted. Need to clean it up and start the welding process. Next weekend... Game starts in a few hours ;)

The guy in Brown should be making a number of visits this week with parts boxes:D

Corbet 09-11-2012 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The man in Brown visited today:clap:

I've only got Sunday to work on it this weekend. Packers play Thursday so that helps. Hope to get the hole plugged and the stock hanger welded back on. The prep work will make the difference so I plan to take my time.

Old40Dog 09-11-2012 07:17 PM

Looks like you're re-gearing too? Carl at Nitro is AWESOME!

BTW...my new cargo barrier looks great!

Corbet 09-11-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old40Dog (Post 218444)
Looks like you're re-gearing too?

Yup, I was planning to do so this summer anyway. When I determined that I'd be welding my existing housing I decided to go ahead and do it. I have to open up the front so no need to waste the knuckle gasket/seal kit just to reopen the housing again in the near future. 4.88's I hope this makes the difference with the camper in tow.

corsair23 09-11-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbet (Post 218455)
4.88's I hope this makes the difference with the camper in tow.

It won't really but it will feel "peppier" around town :D - Gearing helps a bit but the problem lies with the dog under the hood.

The difference I noticed when towing was that with OD off (as per the manual), your RPMs are quite a bit higher and towing at 70+ is a little "buzzy" because of it. But good call on doing it how while you have everything apart...on the front anyway. Good time to go ahead and service the rear axle as well if you haven't. It is a breeze compared to the front other than sourcing the SST but with your skills you should be able to fab one of those up easy enough.