Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   FJ40 Heater Unit Question? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18525)

ScooterFJ40 09-22-2012 09:59 PM

FJ40 Heater Unit Question?

So as the mornings (and days) are starting to become notably colder, I always look forward to a nice and warm vehicle - but I'm not really sure if my FJ40 qualifies.. :confused:

The heater more less vents the engine heat in my direction, it has no obvious blower/ motion or anything; it really doesn't get that warm. It seems fairly useless honestly.

So is there a super-secret-button that I've managed to miss? :D

My buddy's 40 is basically an oven when he turns his on, it's a polar opposite of mine.

Was just curious for some advice, I'm not a huge fan of being cold - especially while driving.

RicardoJM 09-23-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScooterFJ40 (Post 219005)
So is there a super-secret-button that I've managed to miss? :D

There is a heater fan switch on the dash. There are two positions; one for high and the other for low. There is also a deflector in the heater itself, make sure it is not sending all your heat right up to the windshield.

My FJ40 gets pretty toasty warm, but it certainly takes a while for the engine to come up to temperature and making good heat.

ttubb 09-23-2012 06:57 AM

When I overhauled mine I found the heater radiator almost completely blocked with dust/dirt/leaves. I would look there first. I am assuming you have a fan that works.

subzali 09-23-2012 07:57 AM

I know the Blue Mule has gone out on snow runs, so I would think the heater works pretty good. You should definitely hear the blower motor running when you have the knob pulled.

Air Randy 09-23-2012 08:59 AM

Yes, the Mule had a soft top and the heater on low would keep it toasty warm. If your blower motor is working (with the engine off, key on and blower motor switch on, open the hood, listen in the engine compartment next to the firewall on the passenger side) then you need to make sure A-The heater box isnt blocked, if it is it wont blow much air. If it is moving a fair amount of air but the air wont get warm even though the engine is at operating temp, then its probably the water control valve. The only other issue would be if your engine isnt warming up because of a bad thermostat.

It is pretty common for the heater boxes to get blocked, either by leaves and such or because the foam parts inside have degraded and fallen apart. If you decide to tear your heater box apart to clean it out, I have a rebuild kit that includes all the proper foam pieces I'll let you have for $20.

ScooterFJ40 09-24-2012 12:57 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys, I found "the magic switches" today while driving to work - and it gets nice and hot to say the least.

I guess I don't have anything to compain about now! Haha

Randy - I still need to come get those axels, I keep forgetting to call you.

Air Randy 09-24-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScooterFJ40 (Post 219055)
Thanks for all the replies guys, I found "the magic switches" today while driving to work - and it gets nice and hot to say the least.

I guess I don't have anything to compain about now! Haha

Randy - I still need to come get those axels, I keep forgetting to call you.

They're here waiting on you