Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   driveshaft measurements (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1864)

subzali 08-03-2006 08:48 PM

driveshaft measurements

Hey anybody with an FJ40 with a 4 speed (or whatever will be similar to my '77), I need the measurement of the driveshaft length...just from the back of the e-brake to the pinion flange is fine...apparently mine is shorter than everybody else's :confused: like I have a different tranny or something...hey BTW Ige do you know if the tranny or t-case has been changed on this truck?

subzali 08-03-2006 08:54 PM

Mine is 21 1/4" BTW, which is about 6" shorter than all the other driveshafts I've seen in the past couple days, some of which were labelled "rear".

wesintl 08-03-2006 08:59 PM

You could always get it retubed instead of finding a used one...

subzali 08-03-2006 09:25 PM

Gotta play the numbers...I'm going to make a couple calls and see what's going on, but I'd still like to know since all the ones I've seen in the last couple of days are longer than mine and I thought mine was stock.

wesintl 08-03-2006 09:32 PM

We'll I didn't know we all had a longer one than you but i'll take your word for it:D are you sure about Ian though :lmao:

anyway. were you just measuring the length of the DS? once the slip gets packed with grease it expands and is hard to push in, esp out of the truck. That can easily account for a few inch difference. Even if on the truck it can be a slight difference depending on how stock the truck is, how much the springs have sagged, how much lift, etc.

nuclearlemon 08-03-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali
Hey anybody with an FJ40 with a 4 speed (or whatever will be similar to my '77), I need the measurement of the driveshaft length...just from the back of the e-brake to the pinion flange is fine...apparently mine is shorter than everybody else's :confused: like I have a different tranny or something...hey BTW Ige do you know if the tranny or t-case has been changed on this truck?

not that i know of. besides, t case is same size on pre split case cruisers. only way it would be different would be 4spd trans vs. 3 spd trans.:confused:

nuclearlemon 08-03-2006 10:31 PM

if you're measuring in the vehicle, are you looking at rigs that have reversed their leaf springs?

IanB 08-04-2006 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesintl
We'll I didn't know we all had a longer one than you but i'll take your word for it:D are you sure about Ian though :lmao:

Mines custom ;) :eek: :hill: :flamingo: :bowdown: :beer:

subzali 08-04-2006 06:32 AM

I know everything will be different, but I want to see if I'm close. All I see is a 6" difference between mine and all the others I've seen, and I'm guessing that even with a small lift etc. the difference shouldn't be that much. I measured from my parking brake to my pinion flange. Also when looking at other driveshafts it's not just the overall measurement that's longer, it's the tube part that makes the length difference. So let's hear 'em, it only takes a couple seconds to measure it.

nuclearlemon 08-04-2006 08:28 AM

mine are all custom too