Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Ham & CB Radio Corner (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   terrible interference when fridge comes on. (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18668)

CardinalFJ60 10-22-2012 08:57 AM

terrible interference when fridge comes on.

Anyone who's been on a run with me since I got the fridge will attest that it puts off some wicked RF interference when the fridge compressor kicks on. To the point where I have to squelch it out to about 75-85% of the travel on the squelch knob. :eek: With my HT, I can walk toward the rear of my 60 when the fridge's compressor is on and hear the intereference, I walk away...no more sound. so it's got to be from the fridge.

No one else seems to have that issue (??)

What could be the culprit? Should I just throw on a Choke? any ideas on how to track this down would be great.

I have the fridge wired straight to the aux battery with 10g. it is however still on the cig lighter plug.

Jacket 10-22-2012 09:00 AM

Where is the wiring for the radio? Do they share any part of the circuit, or run right next to each other to the aux battery?

Romer 10-22-2012 09:06 AM

My guess is the ground. The outlet you have the fridge, might try taking the ground directly to a chassis bolt rather than running it back. Same for the Radio.

If they are on the same positive (fuse), might try finding separate sources

CardinalFJ60 10-22-2012 12:29 PM

close quarters for sure...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacket (Post 220576)
Where is the wiring for the radio? Do they share any part of the circuit, or run right next to each other to the aux battery?

Both are run straight to the Aux. battery (separately of course, each on 10g) and IIRC they run right next to eachother under the hood...'cept that the Ham Power stops at the console, and the fridge runs straight back along the PS interior

CardinalFJ60 10-22-2012 12:31 PM

grounds could be suspect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romer (Post 220578)
My guess is the ground. The outlet you have the fridge, might try taking the ground directly to a chassis bolt rather than running it back. Same for the Radio.

If they are on the same positive (fuse), might try finding separate sources

They used to be on the same positive, then I ran a separate power/ground to the fridge to try to fix that interference - no improvement with that...hmmm...ground is the next I'll check.

Romer 10-22-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60 (Post 220600)
They used to be on the same positive, then I ran a separate power/ground to the fridge to try to fix that interference - no improvement with that...hmmm...ground is the next I'll check.

Could be a loose or improper ground. Might also check to make sure the ground from your battery/alt has a good connection. I remember having to take teh bolt off and grind a bit in the engine block on my 40 to get a good contact

measure from battery to a point on the chassis, should be very few miliohms. measure from the fridge ground to chasssis and should be the same

Make sure all your connections are tight with good metal to metal contact

Air Randy 10-22-2012 03:00 PM

Or, the motor in your fridge that runs the compressor could just be bad i.e. a brush has a slightly too large gap to the armature and is sparking. Or there is an inadequate or loose ground inside the fridge chassis.

If you know someone that has the same fridge as you do, try plugging their's into your rig in the same configuration as yours. If the noise goes away, its the fridge. If it stays, it is somewhere in the eletrical system of your truck.

CardinalFJ60 10-22-2012 03:55 PM

GREAT idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Air Randy (Post 220615)
Or, the motor in your fridge that runs the compressor could just be bad i.e. a brush has a slightly too large gap to the armature and is sparking. Or there is an inadequate or loose ground inside the fridge chassis.

If you know someone that has the same fridge as you do, try plugging their's into your rig in the same configuration as yours. If the noise goes away, its the fridge. If it stays, it is somewhere in the eletrical system of your truck.

Doh. why didn't I think of that!?? Oh Perrrrry..where are you?

nakman 10-22-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60 (Post 220620)
Doh. why didn't I think of that!?? Oh Perrrrry..where are you?

Jacket's in Lafayette, dude.. :o

You could also just stick a battery back there, then wire the fridge up directly to it- bypass everything. Sometimes it's easier to diagnose if you can see the whole circuit in front of you.. :confused:

I think you're on the right track with the ground though, just pull the cig plug out, pop off that ground wire, then run something completely separate to what you know is a solid ground. If that fixes it, then do it again but more prettier. :D

CardinalFJ60 10-22-2012 04:47 PM

how about...

how about just leaving it plugged into AC and disconnect the DC?