Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   ARP Hub Studs (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18689)

Corbet 10-23-2012 08:31 PM

ARP Hub Studs
 
Anyone ever use these? http://www.trail-gear.com/arp-2000-hub-stud-kit

Not the most popular vendor I know. I pulled one of my rear axles out tonight and the hub studs have a fair share of corrosion. Other side is soaking in penetrating oil overnight. Considering replacing them.

DanS 10-24-2012 11:34 AM

I replace my studs anytime I rebuild an axle (Front or Rear) as part of my semi normal routine for a baseline rebuild.

I won't touch Trail Gear, but I have tried to find ARP studs from other vendors (because the ARP studs make a lot of sense to me) and haven't found any.

Dan

Corbet 10-24-2012 01:19 PM

Dan,

Why do you replace them at every rebuild? The OEM torque spec is so low I can't see a lot of fatigue issues. Mine are just rusty so I'm thinking about it.

bustanutley 10-24-2012 02:58 PM

I have broken the hub/flange interface on my front axle several times, I installed addition larger dowels from longfield + his chormo drive flanges, no more problems :) You could do the dowel upgrade to your FF, you would have an addition step of drilling the shafts also.

http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/p...our-Toyota-Hub

Corbet 10-24-2012 03:54 PM

I've thought about that but not sure if I'm hardcore enough to warrant on 35's with no plans for larger as its a daily driver too.

Air Randy 10-24-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbet (Post 220680)
Anyone ever use these? http://www.trail-gear.com/arp-2000-hub-stud-kit

Not the most popular vendor I know. I pulled one of my rear axles out tonight and the hub studs have a fair share of corrosion. Other side is soaking in penetrating oil overnight. Considering replacing them.

I've used them and they work fine. I'm not sure what issues people have with Trail-Gear but I've bought tons of stuff from them. They have the best prices, their customer service and return policy have always been good and I have never had a complaint about them. I never had any of their stuff break either, even the stuff they manufacture themselves.

Keep in mind the studs you are buying are made by ARP, reagrdless of who is selling them, and they are considered the standard in the industry for making the highest quality/strength threaded connectors of all types. I used to break the knuckle studs in the Meanie (GM 1 tons axles) until I replaced them with ARP studs, they haven't broken since.

They may be overkill in your application but it never hurts to beef things up a little.

nuclearlemon 10-25-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Air Randy (Post 220732)
I've used them and they work fine. I'm not sure what issues people have with Trail-Gea.

When chris started trailmart, he was.working for marlin and he essentially stole all of marlins product designs, then undercut marlin and released marlins new products before marlin. Chris no longer is involved with trail gear, nut many don't know that and/or still hold a grudge. Even the toy pickup crowd gets defensive when someone messes with a great person/vendor

DanS 10-25-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbet (Post 220715)
Dan,

Why do you replace them at every rebuild? The OEM torque spec is so low I can't see a lot of fatigue issues. Mine are just rusty so I'm thinking about it.

Not every rebuild, but every first rebuild that I do. That way I know the condition they are in when I start with them. There's a lot of stress and strain that can hide in those studs, so I like to start with a fresh set for my stuff. I tend to drive pretty smoothly, and I don't have anything in the way too much power/super big tires range, so it's just so that I know the studs haven't been overstressed in the past that I replace them the first time I rebuild something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearlemon (Post 220789)
When chris started trailmart, he was.working for marlin and he essentially stole all of marlins product designs, then undercut marlin and released marlins new products before marlin. Chris no longer is involved with trail gear, nut many don't know that and/or still hold a grudge. Even the toy pickup crowd gets defensive when someone messes with a great person/vendor

That's my reason. My wife gets a Christmas card from Marlin. We're loyal. I have no experience dealing with Trail Gear directly, but that's the reason I stay away.

Dan


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.