Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Birf Question (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18704)

Telly 10-28-2012 01:09 PM

Birf Question

1 Attachment(s)
I own a 78 FJ40. I picked up a used birf today and compared it to the one I pulled from the rig when i got home. It's shorter than mine. Did birf's change in length at a certain year for 40's?
My birf is loose and I'm trying to find a replacement. I should have done my research first as I just wasted my time and money one this one.

wesintl 10-28-2012 01:23 PM

yes. 76-78 have the long birf fine spline.

Telly 10-28-2012 01:59 PM

Ballz...

wesintl 10-28-2012 02:04 PM

i'm sure you can still sell the short if you wanted or buy another and convert to short ones.

Tommy the Cat 10-28-2012 06:16 PM

I assume that is the one you just picked up from me and I'm confused. I broke a birf in my '78 and bought a set on IH8MUD. The one you have there and the one that went into the front of my truck. They were identical and the same length as the one I took out of my truck.

What is the difference between our same year trucks? I'm sorry that this one didn't work for and I'm at a loss as to why...

Telly 10-29-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy the Cat (Post 221002)
I assume that is the one you just picked up from me and I'm confused. I broke a birf in my '78 and bought a set on IH8MUD. The one you have there and the one that went into the front of my truck. They were identical and the same length as the one I took out of my truck.

What is the difference between our same year trucks? I'm sorry that this one didn't work for and I'm at a loss as to why...

Yea, this is the one I picked up Sunday from you. I was just as surprised as you. Both sides of my axle have this same long birf spline. I'm pricing a new one from my local contact at Toyota. :eek: I will be posting a WTB ad in the for sale section too.

subzali 10-29-2012 08:04 AM

you can use the washer trick with your new shorter birf. Or upgrade to minitruck/60 series knuckles...

Tommy the Cat 10-29-2012 11:06 AM

Or perhaps try putting the cage and balls in your long housing and see if that tightens it up. I doubt the internals are different.

wesintl 10-29-2012 12:46 PM

Is there wear on the inside of the bell? Was it clicking?

Telly 10-29-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesintl (Post 221056)
Is there wear on the inside of the bell? Was it clicking?

No idea about the clicking. I tore down the front end in pretty much right after I bought the rig after discovering grey soup in the diff. I'm no expert with analyzing birfs but I did compare to the other side. One side has no "in/out" movement (pulling the axle and birf back and forth) and seems tight compared to the other. I took the birf to Justin at Redline and he agreed that the birf is worn but we did not take it apart. He had several used birfs that I was going to buy but they all had the same problem. Would you suggest taking the birf apart and posting some pics? I guess I don't know what is an acceptable amount of "play".