Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Toyota service in Ft Collins?? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18764)

PhatFJ 11-11-2012 07:57 PM

Toyota service in Ft Collins??

Hey guys, my daughter is going to CSU and is having some trouble with her 1987 Corolla GTS. The car died and had to get a jump to start and it died again, she took the battery out and had it checked at O'Reileys and ended up replacing it. Now she is having trouble maintaining an idle at a stop without giving it throttle. I told her that I would check with the boys to see if there is a good Toyota shop/ mechanic in FC that she could take it to. I know that it may just be a simple adjustment but this is something that she cannot do.. Any suggestions??

Thanks guys!!

trucruiser 11-14-2012 12:26 PM

Sorry to hear of her problems. I dont know many people that work on that vintage of toyota's anymore. that was the years where they have a bunch of hoses and emissions equipment. And hopefully it doesnt have the variable venturi carb (pain). First thing would be to check all of the vacuum hoses for leaks and cracking, then check sensors. The only one i can think of is the tech at the toyota dealership in ft collins he's very knowledgeable on Landcruisers maybe he can help with the corolla. Sorry I dont remember his name but just for the landcruiser tech.

PhatFJ 11-14-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trucruiser (Post 221932)
Sorry to hear of her problems. I dont know many people that work on that vintage of toyota's anymore. that was the years where they have a bunch of hoses and emissions equipment. And hopefully it doesnt have the variable venturi carb (pain). First thing would be to check all of the vacuum hoses for leaks and cracking, then check sensors. The only one i can think of is the tech at the toyota dealership in ft collins he's very knowledgeable on Landcruisers maybe he can help with the corolla. Sorry I dont remember his name but just for the landcruiser tech.

Thanks Trucruiser!! Yep I think it does have the VVC, it is a 4-AGE Bluetop. What a beast, this thing comes on the cam at about 5g and is a blast to drive.. Anyhow, I recalled as I was finishing some body restoration I had to disconnect the battery a couple times and when I reconnected it, I had the same problem, it did not want to idle but after running it a few times it went back to normal idle and all was good.. So, her car seems to be idling fine now, I would still like to find someone up in FC as I have 2 daughters up there going to school and both drive Toyotas. It would be great to have a local trustworthy contact that I could send them to.. Thanks again for the reply!!! :thumb:

PabloCruise 11-14-2012 01:56 PM

What I don't do myself I take to Nelsen's Auto Tech on Mountain.
Wade is a good friend and the owner.
He has been a local wrench for 20+ years up here - he's a good egg.

Good luck, have your daughters tell him that TJ sent them.

trucruiser 11-14-2012 02:11 PM

Good luck on that lil car, one of the GF's boys has a Tercel of the same vintage. I have become somewhat familiar with that engine but really dont like working on it although i do have it running pretty good right now.
TJ... whats up man? Its been a while. Cheers

PhatFJ 11-14-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PabloCruise (Post 221938)
What I don't do myself I take to Nelsen's Auto Tech on Mountain.
Wade is a good friend and the owner.
He has been a local wrench for 20+ years up here - he's a good egg.

Good luck, have your daughters tell him that TJ sent them.

Cool!! :thumb: Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the help and it's tough not being there for the girls when they need someone to turn a wrench... Hey my oldest (now a senior @ CSU) was able to change her own tire this summer :) I was so proud!! They have always had their dad to do things like that for them..
Thanks again!

All the best!!
Brian