Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Baseline recommendations? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18881)

smslavin 12-11-2012 07:21 PM

Baseline recommendations?

After many moons of my FJ being lost in the girl pack that is my life and major stress at the office, Rebecca finally has her own car. We had originally planned on finding an 80 (Jeff, thanks for all the conversations) but after borrowing one from a friend a few times, Bec wasn't too hip on them.

Monday morning, during my daily Autotrader/Craigslist/Carsabi cruise, I spotted a very clean '03 Sequoia at a dealer up the road. It appears to have been very well taken care of. Previous owner was local and apparently used the Sequoia when the weather wasn't good enough for the Ferraris. Paint is in very good shape. No cracks in the leather. Carpet is clean. It had been undercoated. No leaks underneath. Needless to say, Bec is a happy camper and the :Princess:es absolutely love all the extra room. Hopefully the sisterly "love" in the backseat will subside. :rant:

Anyway, I'd like to go through it over the next couple of weeks and baseline it. Planning on changing the fluids (oil, diffs, t-case), filters and hitting the necessary zerk fittings. Any recommendations on other things to do? I do need to replace the power antenna motor and maybe the mast as well since it doesn't go down when you turn the radio off. Replacing the tape deck with a nav unit this weekend. The girls wanted to know what the big slot was for and all I could do was laugh. :hill:

Btw, it's fuggin huge compared to driving my FJ... :cheers:

spectre6000 12-11-2012 09:49 PM

How many miles? Any maintenance records? I would check any records against the factory recommended maintenance, and make no assumptions.

"Pay the money, cry once." -Gene Berg

"Never trust a PO." -Me

subzali 12-12-2012 07:48 AM

-Timing belt needs to be done at 90,000 miles.
-Tranny flush
-Diffs
-Air cleaner
-Spark plugs
-Wash and wax
-Vacuum/Shampoo/Leather conditioner
-Drive

smslavin 12-12-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectre6000 (Post 223289)
How many miles? Any maintenance records? I would check any records against the factory recommended maintenance, and make no assumptions.

"Pay the money, cry once." -Gene Berg

"Never trust a PO." -Me

135k, no records. Love those quotes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali
-Timing belt needs to be done at 90,000 miles.
-Tranny flush
-Diffs
-Air cleaner
-Spark plugs
-Wash and wax
-Vacuum/Shampoo/Leather conditioner
-Drive

I need to take a closer look at the belts. Quick glance at the dealership and they looked okay. Going to pick up plugs, air filter and cabin filter today.

rover67 12-12-2012 08:48 AM

change fluids and make sure timing belt has been done.

spectre6000 12-12-2012 11:33 AM

A dealership is the worst kind of PO... They have all sorts of nasty tricks not available to your average PO to deceive you into thinking the car is in better shape than it is. You can't see the timing belt without partial disassembly of the engine, and no dealership is going to spend that kind of effort on a car they're trying to flip quickly for a profit.

Toyota has a site (someone else will have to reference it, as I've only ever had one car that could have possibly qualified) that will give you service records IF the services were done by the dealer AND the dealer was together enough to record it. Aside from that, I'll reiterate: make no assumptions.

Christo Slee told me something that I really appreciate (I'll have to paraphrase this one). The reliability of a Toyota is both a blessing and a curse. If you take care of it and provide it with all necessary care and feeding you can get hundreds and thousands of miles out of them. The problem is that they're so damn reliable that the non-enthusiasts don't know HOW to provide proper care and feeding, and thus don't bother unless some genuine can't-ignore-it problem surfaces (at which point, it's too late). A new Sequoia is a Class A soccer mom mobile, and soccer moms are about as far from enthusiasts as you can get. If it doesn't have a glaring problem, it's probably not going to be addressed. Timing belts don't slowly go bad; they die hard, fast, and in a spectacular and expensive fashion. It has an interference engine and hasn't been totalled, ergo, the timing belt hasn't let go. Assume it needs to be replaced, and save yourself the hassle of finding a rolled donor for the engine and have it replaced. That's the sort of thing you bake into the price of a used car when shopping.

Aside from that, check fluids, tires, brakes, shocks, plugs, etc. Anything that might be considered a wear item. Be glad it's a new enough vehicle that you don't have to count wire insulation and every single moving, electrical, rubber, or otherwise oxidable part and every gasket, seal, brush, blade, or sweeper to that list (the old ones are so much more fun!)

corsair23 12-12-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smslavin (Post 223278)
After many moons of my FJ being lost in the girl pack that is my life and major stress at the office, Rebecca finally has her own car. We had originally planned on finding an 80 (Jeff, thanks for all the conversations) but after borrowing one from a friend a few times, Bec wasn't too hip on them.

Good choice IMO :thumb:

As you know from our conversations, we've been looking for a Sequoia for the :Princess:. 80s are great rigs, but for a "soccer mom" I think a Sequoia is a much better choice. More power, better fuel economy, plenty of space, etc. Get all of the baselining done and enjoy it. It might be worth looking it up on the Toyota site if you haven't yet just to see if maybe the timing belt has already been done.

Here is the site:

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pag...conf_logintext

You have to create a login and then add the vehicle to your "stable" of vehicles via the VIN as I recall. Free and it might save you some substantial $$ :)

Jenny Cruiser 12-12-2012 12:09 PM

Replace the coolant too and t-stat (red or green?). It might be a good idea to have the battery checked out too since it sounds like it was a sit for a bit vehicle.

subzali 12-12-2012 12:58 PM

While you're getting the timing belt changed you can have the coolant replaced, along with the water pump. Go red :thumb:

Good call on the brakes too, not sure if Seqoia's suffered from the undersized brake problem of the early Tundras, but the rear shoes probably need adjusted (assuming rear drums like early Tundra) and the front disc pads are easy enough to check.

I know a guy in Golden who does great work at a great price for RS members: if you don't go with Robbie or anyone else in the club give him a call:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/s...ead.php?t=8747

smslavin 12-12-2012 01:31 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I actually have to go to the office in Golden (:rant:) next Monday so I'll give ATLR a call and see what they can take care of while I'm down there. Thanks for the recommendation Matt.