Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Ham & CB Radio Corner (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Recommendations for a entry level handheld HAM (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18886)

Rezarf 12-13-2012 05:41 PM

Recommendations for a entry level handheld HAM

Hey guys, I know that you can spend as much as you wish on HAM radio's but I was wondering if you guys could recommend a simple handheld that I could keep on hand for monitoring/broadcasting (once I get my license).

I have been looking at some of the compact Yaesu series and was wondering whats the minimum you would recommend? I am thinking of something that would easily move from vehicle to vehicle, even take camping etc.

Thanks-

Drew

smslavin 12-13-2012 07:58 PM

I've got a Yaesu FT-270R. It's 2m only and 5w but works great as a handheld. I've been carrying it on my mtb rides and trail runs lately. Pretty good range with the stock antenna but you can change it out to a longer whip and get a bit more reach. One was recommended to me but I'm drawing a blank on it. Would love to pick up a VX-8gr so I could have APRS on a handheld.

CO Hunter 12-13-2012 09:06 PM

HT - depends on what you want to do

If you are looking for just a rig to rig radio, 2m only is fine. However, if you want to do more I would recommend getting dual band 2/70. The reason is some repeaters are on 70 cm e.g., Steamboat, Winter Park on Colorado Connection and Colorado Springs MARC. Yes, most are 2m but what if in the rare occasion you need to use that 70cm repeater? I have the Yaesu FT60 it is 2/70 and the nice thing about it is you can get a battery pack that uses AA batteries and still get 5w (full power), not true with most other HTs. If you want to TX and monitor another frequency some of the VX series will work, such as the one mentioned above. If you want APRS go for the VX-8 series. Other accessories to consider are a longer whip (1/4 wave) to replace the lame rubber duck, a remote mic (useful while driving) and a mag mount (full size or mini). Even the 1/4 wave mini works pretty darn well on a good ground plane.

By the way broadcasting on HAM frequency would get you in trouble. Hint, that is likely a test question ;)

CardinalFJ60 12-14-2012 09:06 AM

Wouxon dual band.

the wouxon dual bander is cheap and works just fine. Yes, the Yaesu is better quality and has more features, but for $119 you can get yourself a fine little HT. then if you want...after using it, maybe upgrade to the dual receive models....or not.

One of my favorite HTs is the ft-250 (2m only). it's a simple little radio that I never forget how to operate. I'm consistently double checking the manual on my other Yaesu (6r, which I also love) to remember all the features and how to use it.

DaveInDenver 12-14-2012 09:15 AM

It's hard to argue with the Wouxon or any of the Chinese radios. I'm not super enthusiastic that they often very closely copy the big Japanese guys, but at 1/2 or 1/3 the price they are tough to ignore.

A lot of people in the club have Yaesu VX-7R, so there's some built-in support for programming and use. We have a VX-6R and a VX-7R. If I had it to do over I would get the VX-6 again in a heartbeat, great little radio. The VX-7 is also a fine radio but I don't think the extra features are really worth the money. Although having dual RX is definitely handy, so I dunno.

I'd personally not spend a boat load at first, HTs get lost and broken so start simple and cheap. If you find you want more features, get something in the future. It's also never bad to have a cheapie to loan out, so it's not money wasted. I think it's best to start with a decent mobile, but an HT usually comes in a close second.

nakman 12-14-2012 09:30 AM

Drew come over and play with my radios some time.... I will give you my take on ht vs. solid mobile :)

Oh, and I have some knife paraphernalia of some sort for you from Cardinal. ;)

subzali 12-14-2012 10:18 AM

I've got an FT-60R. Don't know how to use it, really. But that goes for my FT-7800 too. Any of these things are too smart for me. Guess I need more time in the basement in my whitey-tighties.

Rezarf 12-14-2012 11:13 AM

Thanks guys, I think. First need to buy some tighty whiteys... That cracked me up Matt.

Thanks, i like the battery pack capability with AA's thanks CO Hunter.

CO Hunter 12-14-2012 06:53 PM

You're welcome.

Do your research and combine that with what you want and I'm sure you will make the best decision for yourself. You are fortune to have many experienced HAM radio folks up your way. I found this forum very useful when I was debating what to get as my first radio. Read through this section and you will learn a lot, it is a good place to start your research. One thing you will realize is that passing the test is the easy part, deciding on the radio(s) is the hard part ;)

By the way, I followed your trailer build a while back on MUD, great job!!

:cheers:

nuclearlemon 12-14-2012 07:16 PM

i found the best handheld to be a high quality used one;)