Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Detriot True Trac or Lock Right in Front Diff?? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19020)

Evrgrnmtnman 01-19-2013 10:00 PM

Detriot True Trac or Lock Right in Front Diff??

Okay, so I bought a front diff off of Craigslist with a Lock Right Locker to replace the front diff that broke the axle shaft in the one I got with a Detroit True Trac inside it. SO, do I just put in the diff with the Lock Right Locker and call it good, or take the Detroit True Trac out of my old front diff and put it in this replacement diff??? Thoughts, opinions, advice???
Thanks,
CJ

Rzeppa 01-20-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evrgrnmtnman (Post 225151)
Okay, so I bought a front diff off of Craigslist with a Lock Right Locker to replace the front diff that broke the axle shaft in the one I got with a Detroit True Trac inside it. SO, do I just put in the diff with the Lock Right Locker and call it good, or take the Detroit True Trac out of my old front diff and put it in this replacement diff??? Thoughts, opinions, advice???
Thanks,
CJ

For numerous reasons, I would not use any auto locking diff up front in any rig. I love my lock rights in the rear, but they do not belong up front IMHO.

Fishy 01-20-2013 03:23 PM

Wouldn't an auto locking diff up front lock up anytime you turned hard and stepped on the gas? Bad things would happen, no?

Rzeppa 01-20-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishy (Post 225175)
Wouldn't an auto locking diff up front lock up anytime you turned hard and stepped on the gas? Bad things would happen, no?

Yes, they do. Seen lots of bad things happen with non-selectable lockers up front on numerous rigs. And even with power steering, it can be hard as heck to turn on slickrock, as in, really, really hard. Belt-squealing hard. Auto lockers (Aussie, Lock Right and Detroit) belong in the rear, not the front.

Evrgrnmtnman 01-20-2013 04:18 PM

Sounds like I should stay with the Detroit Tru Trac.......

Rzeppa 01-21-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evrgrnmtnman (Post 225179)
Sounds like I should stay with the Detroit Tru Trac.......

As long as you like breaking stuff...:rolleyes:

DaveInDenver 01-21-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzeppa (Post 225260)
As long as you like breaking stuff...:rolleyes:

And CJ did shear the short side drive stub in his diff... Makes more sense if he had a Tru Trac in it.

Fishy 01-21-2013 09:14 PM

A Tru Trac doesn't have springs or plates, just gears right? So you need to apply the brake and the gas to get it to lock/engage?

Evrgrnmtnman 01-22-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver (Post 225262)
And CJ did shear the short side drive stub in his diff... Makes more sense if he had a Tru Trac in it.

Are you saying that a Tru Trac is more enclined to break axle shafts than a Lockrite?

DaveInDenver 01-22-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evrgrnmtnman (Post 225306)
Are you saying that a Tru Trac is more enclined to break axle shafts than a Lockrite?

It's better than an auto locker, but they are not fully transparent like an open diff.

My $0.02 is that selectable lockers are the only thing safe for front diffs on snowy roads. That's a personal thing, some people are comfortable with limited slips.

I decided to sell my Air Lockers because in the front especially it took up quite a bit of volume in the housing and didn't leave much room for lube (less than a quart IIRC). I don't do enough rock crawling to see the benefit of a front locker but do spend a lot of time in 4WD high and in 2WD with hubs locked.