Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Someone pulled my trigger. (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19040)

loudbay 01-23-2013 08:33 PM

Someone pulled my trigger. New FJ40.

I put up a pretty generic craigslist ad looking to trade my 80 for a 40. I've mentioned on here multiple times I have 40 envy, and have had all kinds of cockamamie ideas on the matter. I wanted to put my nice 60 drivetrain into a non running low rust 40. That didn't happen. Actually the opposite happened. Found a nice guy who traded me my 80 for his running 40. It has a good amount of rust mitigation to be done still, although the previous owners have worked on it some already. 1975, crate 350 still in the break in period, 4speed, but it's louder than my 60s 4 speed (maybe this is normal, maybe it'll need help soon), some lift, some rust, hardtop, pretty much complete according to my limited 40 knowledge. Definitely driveable as is.

I need some stock looking steelies, and I'd love to adjust the 4 drum brakes for a bit more anti-oomph. Maybe that's impossible, and means sourcing front discs. I'd love one of you 40 gurus to look it over with me and help point out any more issues and help me learn a bit about it. Also, any tips on doing some body-on rust mitigation on the frame and undercarriage? No nasty rot down there, but lots of surface rust. Some rot on the tub and fenders of course....

Bruce seems to be a good guy, and I told him about the club so hopefully well get to meet him soon.

So excited! Pics in the a.m.

:cheers:
Matt

spectre6000 01-23-2013 08:37 PM

If you want to come up my way tomorrow, I'll be adjusting mine and installing the brake booster that should arrive tomorrow. I'm no stranger to dual cylinder drums. :)

Also, what's the deal with all the trigger pulling thread titles all of a sudden? A quick glance at the chat section led to a little confusion in my poor addled brain...

bigcity25 01-23-2013 08:38 PM

Not an expert but would like to offer any of my knowledge

Air Randy 01-23-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectre6000 (Post 225451)
If you want to come up my way tomorrow, I'll be adjusting mine and installing the brake booster that should arrive tomorrow. I'm no stranger to dual cylinder drums. :)

Also, what's the deal with all the trigger pulling thread titles all of a sudden? A quick glance at the chat section led to a little confusion in my poor addled brain...

Hey, you started it with your thread :D

spectre6000 01-23-2013 09:02 PM

I know! That's what had me confused. All the posts disappeared and everything was different... Twice!

loudbay 01-23-2013 09:06 PM

Dang Spectre, thanks a lot, but I've got to work tomorrow, and I'd like to address the brakes here down in the flats before heading up your way. Nothing like dying in a new truck...

Big City, if you're in Denver, let's make plans for a beer after my in-laws leave town.

Screw it, I'm going outside for a bad night time pic...

Bruiser 01-23-2013 09:09 PM

A bad night pic is better than no pic at all

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudbay (Post 225459)
Dang Spectre, thanks a lot, but I've got to work tomorrow, and I'd like to address the brakes here down in the flats before heading up your way. Nothing like dying in a new truck...

Big City, if you're in Denver, let's make plans for a beer after my in-laws leave town.

Screw it, I'm going outside for a bad night time pic...

spectre6000 01-23-2013 09:12 PM

I sent a PM, then saw the response (brakes are kinda important up this way... wasn't sure how bad you were)... Now I have to keep the laptop open a little longer for the pic(s)...

loudbay 01-23-2013 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is. I'm thinking maybe, Alice... As in 'down the rabbit hole'. Is there another Alice here in the club?

Cheers,
m.

loudbay 01-23-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectre6000 (Post 225461)
I sent a PM, then saw the response (brakes are kinda important up this way... wasn't sure how bad you were)... Now I have to keep the laptop open a little longer for the pic(s)...

Thanks again! I'll be up your way ASAP!
:cheers: