Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The new 40 and some questions... (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19046)

loudbay 01-25-2013 03:10 PM

The new 40 and some questions...

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some daytime pics, I'm going outside now to rip out the interior and hunt for rust. I bought some roll on hammered rustoleum for inside the bed, but it may be too cold for it to set up.

What are the bolts on the side of the top for? They're on both sides... I would say it's previous owner tomfoolery, but I'm not sure...

Where should the licensce plate wires wire into the harness? They're just dangling...

What stockish steel wheels are people running? I have a set of 32x11.5x15s and a set of 275/70/16s, both BFG ATs, both pretty nice and newish... Either should fit on the 60, so on the 40 it will come down to proper looking wheels I think... 15s or 16s won't really matter to me.

More questions as I go through it.

We did find one of the rearmost rear spring hanger is not so safe looking, so Euroford and I will be tackling that sooner than later, we'll probably try to get a better shackle angle while we're at it. Tim is going to be a BIG help with this project, and many thanks to him!

Cheers,
M.

corsair23 01-25-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudbay (Post 225576)
What are the bolts on the side of the top for? They're on both sides... I would say it's previous owner tomfoolery, but I'm not sure...

PO tomfoolery...maybe they had some spare gas can holders or something bolted to the top?

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudbay (Post 225576)
Where should the licensce plate wires wire into the harness? They're just dangling...

As I recall they go in through a grommet in the rear door and connect to wiring on the inside PS rear wheel well area...

loudbay 01-25-2013 03:25 PM

[quote=corsair23;225578]PO tomfoolery...maybe they had some spare gas can holders or something bolted to the top?

That's just sad... I was really really hoping for something more exciting than that.

loudbay 01-25-2013 03:26 PM

Anyone have a good place they go for stainless metric hardware? McGuckins?

Edit: Oh yeah, hardware is going to cost me a small fortune... It's all either missing or ****ty.

Jacket 01-25-2013 04:04 PM

Nice 40.

For fasteners - McGuckins, Ace, or Jax in a pinch, but you won't get JIS. Your best bet is AAA metric in Denver - get a large bag if M6, M8 and M10 bolts and nuts in an assortment of lengths.

loudbay 01-25-2013 04:08 PM

I'm in no rush, I can wait for the harvesting and counting before rushing out for bolts The only terribad rust spot on the body seems to be at the rear sill. And some previous bad welding turned rust on the passenger sil. Lots of places that are 'not too bad'.

Thanks Matt!

Cheers,
Matt

SteveH 01-25-2013 04:51 PM

You can (or could) buy small assortments of JIS fasteners for about $10 at O'Reillys, as of a couple years ago. They were in a plastic organizer about 7"x10" and included various sizes.

This would be expensive if you had many to replace, but maybe for high visibility places you could use these shiny fasteners.

loudbay 01-25-2013 05:47 PM

Looks like O'Reillys still has the JIS fasteners, but not in stainless... Anything going for JIS other than originality? For a buck a bolt, I think I'm going stainless.

loudbay 01-25-2013 05:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is about an hour worth of work in the tub with the wire wheel. Black spray paint coming right off. Looks like the rear sill has been replaced once before, and is going to need to be worked on again. Other than that, no terrible surprises so far. The passenger mid body mount looks like it will need work, so maybe that entire strip will get replaced. I'm starting to grind into some sort of white plasticky smelling body filler there. Any idea what it is? Sorry for the poor phone pics, it's just so darn convenient.

Tomorrow: pull the seats and the cage, the rear heater and wire wheel the rest. Then brush on the hammered rustoleum (hopefully warm enough), install the carpet kit that came with it, and see what is involved putting in the bestop front seat I have. Sunday, junkyard hunting for a samurai/tracker rear bench.

Thanks for all the knowledge sharing.

Cheers,
m.

MDH33 01-25-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudbay (Post 225587)
The only terribad rust spot on the body seems to be at the rear sill.

What rear sill?? :eek:

Lol! just kidding. looks like a nice 40!

Nice to see some new 40's in the club. Hopefully we can all get another 40's Only Run together this summer. :thumb: