Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Overheated? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19048)

Squishy! 01-25-2013 06:45 PM

Overheated?
 
Soooo on my way home tonight I look at my cluster and my temp gauge is PEGGED in the red :bawl: cycle the ignition off while coasting and let it drop to cold before letting the truck bump start. Stays at operating temp. Cool. Look down again and pegged :bawl: :bawl: it may be a bad sensor, but I'm not taking any chances. Anybody near hampden and Sante fe have a good scan tool with data lists? I think I wanna check my actual temps before concluding on a sensor.

loudbay 01-25-2013 10:44 PM

If it went down to cool for a while, when you let the motor cool down, wouldn't the sensor be good?

baja1d 01-25-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squishy! (Post 225607)
Soooo on my way home tonight I look at my cluster and my temp gauge is PEGGED in the red :bawl: cycle the ignition off while coasting and let it drop to cold before letting the truck bump start. Stays at operating temp. Cool. Look down again and pegged :bawl: :bawl: it may be a bad sensor, but I'm not taking any chances. Anybody near hampden and Sante fe have a good scan tool with data lists? I think I wanna check my actual temps before concluding on a sensor.

With the cool weather I'd guess a bad sensor as well but a new thermostat & radiator flush isn't going to hurt.... I'm assuming your radiator is topped off, could be a ruptured hose.

Squishy! 01-26-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja1d (Post 225617)

With the cool weather I'd guess a bad sensor as well but a new thermostat & radiator flush isn't going to hurt.... I'm assuming your radiator is topped off, could be a ruptured hose.

Ya topped off and still full. This is the 3.4 swap I just finished in September so the coolant and most of the hoses are new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudbay (Post 225615)
If it went down to cool for a while, when you let the motor cool down, wouldn't the sensor be good?

No the engine was off for 15-30 seconds tops.

loudbay 01-26-2013 08:10 AM

Gotcha. I say you warm her up and see how hot the radiator hoses are by hand. I really don't know anything about these sensors, but a lot temp sensors are dummies, and really just show cold, not cold, overheating. I would start here, easy and probably pretty cheap.

thefatkid 01-26-2013 10:27 AM

I'm at work today if you want to stop by.

Squishy! 01-26-2013 05:06 PM

Ah dang. Missed ya.

Rzeppa 01-27-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudbay (Post 225615)
If it went down to cool for a while, when you let the motor cool down, wouldn't the sensor be good?

Not necessarily. could be faulty connection, could be faulty ECU. Never jump straight to a conclusion, simply start eliminating possible causes until the root cause is found. Always start with the cheapest/easiest tests.

Squishy! 01-27-2013 12:42 PM

Right. It's why I'd like to look at what the ECU sees first. I've seen temp sensors short internally before especially once it reaches a certain temp. I may do the boiling water test with a thermometer and an ohmmeter. Quick and simple.

SteveH 01-27-2013 10:48 PM

An infrared heat gun would tell you a lot about the cooling system, too.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.