Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   finally making progress... (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19055)

J Kimmel 01-27-2013 04:55 PM

finally making progress...

4 Attachment(s)
still not sure if I'll make CM this year, but hey I'm going to try :)

Last year before the last day I figured out why my truck was acting weird, turns out after all the years of beating on it, the frame broke right at the front crossmember. I'm actually surprised it lasted that long, considering how hard I am on it and the fact that I never braced it back to the rest of the cage, or shock towers, or anything :eek: pretty much have 2-300 lbs of winch and still acting as a lever arm on the front of the frame.

So I cut it off...and then some more, and then some more, and still more yet to where I am today. I'm still a ways off but significantly closer. Its basically tube now with the exception of the frame rails. I'm going to hang my old toy skins on it (cleaned up and painted) so it looks like something.

anyhow a few photos starting from where it was and sort of where I am now :)

J Kimmel 01-27-2013 05:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
so I cut a little

then I decided I wanted to boatside and integrate some seat mounts in there for some new (used) mastercraft seats

Lots of extra clearance, in the before and after notice the lower link bolt position

Oh and the entire dash area went...I'd say its a foot narrower now

J Kimmel 01-27-2013 05:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I started mounting the dash junk back together, grafting in what little I am keeping of the firewall with what I am building...

ScaldedDog 01-27-2013 05:35 PM

Git 'R Done!

I feel bad: All I'm trying to do is figure out if I want to fix my AC or remove it... :D

Mark

AxleIke 01-27-2013 06:48 PM

Looks GREAT Jeremy! Can't wait to see more pics!

loudbay 01-27-2013 07:23 PM

Fun lookin rig. I'm hoping to attend CM for the first time this year. Good luck getting it done!

rover67 01-27-2013 09:26 PM

Well it looks like the font end is gonna be a bit stiffer! I bet the suspension will work a lot better with it all tied down right.

Also looks like the Old body is going to just be a place to put your feet and mount some gauges.. which is actually pretty perfect.

you are about ready to tack on the front end with dzus buttons and run it!

sweet!

rover67 01-27-2013 09:28 PM

Also forgot to ask....

Can we re-gear it and run Baja in it when it's done?

J Kimmel 01-27-2013 09:49 PM

I'd love to run Baja...need some major suspension re-work for that though ;) Its set up to go S L O W...

Mark keep the A/C :)

really.

Oh and I got some sway a way 2.5 Airs for the rear too, I have a little re-work to do to fit them in place of the 2.0's but I think the suspension ought to work about 100x better than it already does so it ought to be fun and reasonably capable :)

rover67 01-27-2013 09:50 PM

cant be that far off! with that sweet tube frame it's halfway there!!

I'll help.

Promise.