Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Never fun... (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19072)

theboomboom 01-30-2013 07:08 AM

Never fun...

Got off the light rail yesterday after my night class and hopped in my truck, only to hit the clutch pedal and have it slam to the floor :banghead:

I popped the cap on the clutch master and the reservoir was nearly completely dry. I didn't have any DOT 3 at the time, so I called home and my dad brought be a bottle along with some tools. We fussed around with trying to get the system bled for a while, but pressure in the pedal never really built up. I got the truck home in 2nd gear and that's where it sits this morning.

I'm thinking my clutch slave cylinder has probably failed. There wasn't an obvious puddle of fluid below the truck, although there is a soft line that bridges two hard lines in the clutch system, and it appeared a little weapy behind the fitting on one end. I'm not sure if this was due to a leak, or if it was just spash back from the road yesterday...

Regardless, I plan on replacing the slave cylinder and the soft line, then bleeding the system. For those with experience- is there any advantage to going with an OEM slave cylinder over whatever is on the parts store shelf? Any gotchas/tips/tricks for this job?

Squishy! 01-30-2013 07:28 AM

I've used NAPA masters and they've been really good. I let the system gravity bleed before pumping. Other than that the system is so simple it's impossible (nearly) to mess anything up.

DaveInDenver 01-30-2013 07:42 AM

When I replaced the slave cylinder on my truck it was with the OE part from Burt. IIRC it was price competitive with aftermarket (I want to say about $45). Sometimes you get genuine Aisin parts from NAPA and IPW, though, so it's probably worth checking.

Getting at it is a PITA, but it's not the worst job ever. I wouldn't rule out a hard line, they can rust, too. I have one of those power bleeders that might be handy pressurizing the system to look for a leak. Not sure how I'd get it to you any time soon, tho.

RicardoJM 01-30-2013 08:04 AM

Boom, we have a motive power bleeder. I replaced the brake fluid on the Bronco with it and it worked well. Seems like a good idea to use it to pressurize the system and see where the fluid is going.

loudbay 01-30-2013 08:13 AM

I used the Napa on my 60 and had to reuse the OEM 'push rod'. The nut on the Napa part was barely bigger than the hole in the 'clutch lever' and the threads were different sizes. Other than that, EZPZ.

Good luck , M.

loudbay 01-30-2013 08:16 AM

Oh yeah, this may be obvious to everyone but me, but disconnect the line from the slave before removing the slave from the truck. I felt pretty stupid putting it back on to get some torque on the line. And the rubber line is a separate part number, btw. Mine was fine, just the seal failed.

leiniesred 01-30-2013 11:36 AM

Hey Rick:

Be prepared to buy a master cylinder. 9 out of 10 times that's where you'll find the problem in my experience. Pull back the carpet under the pedal and look for any signs of fluid. You might not see any sign, but hey maybe it will be obvious.

Anyway, the master cylinders always seem to give up in the cold weather, the fluid leaks out into the cab and under the carpet, and then no clutch. your rig is just kinda at the right age for the problem too. They are only good for about 1,000,000 pushes.

Good Luck!

nuclearlemon 01-30-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver (Post 225932)
Sometimes you get genuine Aisin parts from NAPA and IPW, though, so it's probably worth checking.

most likely aisan cores that have been rebuilt with whatever parts the rebuilder used, not aisan internals.

RicardoJM 01-30-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboomboom (Post 225930)
... Any gotchas/tips/tricks for this job?

Step 1 - disconnect the battery. :D

DaveInDenver 01-30-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearlemon (Post 225959)
most likely aisan cores that have been rebuilt with whatever parts the rebuilder used, not aisan internals.

Good point, if it's rebuilt who knows what the guts are like, maybe cheap, wrong sized Chinese seals. FWIW, I've had good luck getting new Aisin parts through Amazon. I bought a brake master that I still need to put on, Aisin blue box, brand new that was 1/2 what Toyota wanted for same part in a red box.

I think this is the right slave for Rick's truck:
http://www.amazon.com/Aisin-CRT-014-...1&s=automotive

Aisin CRT014 - $26