Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   The Bike Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   In or Out? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19095)

subzali 02-05-2013 10:58 AM

In or Out?

I've been getting by with my double-knee Carhartts for the past couple of seasons. But they're done and gone and it's time to buy actual moto pants.

For trail only I was thinking outside the boot pants, which is also the only thing I can find that has pockets (and I'd like to have pockets).

Other opinions? Thought I'd make it a poll of what everyone's wearing for trail use. If you wear motocross/inside the boot pants, you just don't have cameras and maps and stuff in your pockets?

baja1d 02-05-2013 11:05 AM

I've got both but prefer outside the boot. Pockets & less debris down the boots. A couple pairs have the zip-off legs. Done it a few times but generally just leave them on.

Jacket 02-05-2013 12:35 PM

Every time I ride I wish I had pockets, so if you find a pair you like then I'd vote for pockets. I don't know of any advantages for inside vs. outside the boot, although maybe for woods riding you might snag/rip a pant leg if it was outside.

subzali 02-05-2013 12:44 PM

I've noticed some wear on my boots from rubbing against the crankcase etc., so I was thinking that maybe the pants wouldn't last very long if they were outside the boot. That was one of my concerns I was hoping someone could answer.

J Kimmel 02-05-2013 12:59 PM

I ride in the boot, all of them. Not really any preference that's just what I got :shrug: I really don't ever carry a camera except the one on my phone and it along with maps and bars and tools and stuff goes in my pack :)

Uncle Ben 02-05-2013 01:01 PM

60wag 02-05-2013 01:18 PM

My setup uses inside the boot pants that fit over my jumbo knee protectors. Keeping mud and dirt out of the knee protectors keeps them moving freely, and I don't have to clean them. A pocket or two would be nice but I keep all of my pocket stuff in an Ogio vest which also carries a water bladder.

Over the boot pants seem to be more common for on road riding where keeping rain water out of your boots would be important. I haven't flood my boots yet crossing a river but at that point, over-boot or in-boot pants probably don't matter much.

corsair23 02-05-2013 01:24 PM

I vote for over the boot and then get some gators :hill:

Keeps your boots from getting worn, keeps the pants from getting worn, you'd get pockets, and maybe your boots wouldn't flood.

Disclaimer: I haven't owed a bike, pants, boots, etc. in 15+ years

subzali 02-05-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben (Post 226403)

You're so helpful UB :rolleyes: :D

nakman 02-05-2013 02:51 PM

Do the over the boot pants also have the velcro for the hip pads? Would be nice to have a pocket, but not at the expense of getting a leg caught up in the kick starter or something. I dunno, I only have one pants and it's in the boot.