Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Hi Lift Heroes (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19144)

nakman 02-14-2013 11:32 AM

Hi Lift Heroes

As a second installment to the Hi Lift discussion here, and to balance out the Hi Lift Horror stories, let's hear about the times where had it not been for a hi lift, you wouldn't have got it fixed, wouldn't have got unstuck, or might still be out there.

I'll start with a quick one- one of our favorite web gurus called me on a chilly Sunday afternoon, he'd slid off the trail in the Lefthand/Castle Gulch area on some ice. I was able to get 60wag to join me in a quick rescue mission, and we headed up there with about an hour's worth of daylight left. Was your typical snow stuck- hit ice, can't stop, slide off the side, and every attempt to move forward or back just makes you slide further down, away from the road.

So we used a hi lift to essentially winch the truck sideways, back towards the trail, putting it between two straps- one secured to the 80 frame, the other secured to a large tree. I think the standard was flexing a little under all the load, but it held. This allowed us to winch the truck from the back, and gently persuade the vehicle to return to the flatness of the road as it inched backwards. Had we not had the jack, the truck would have just kept sliding down the hill as it moved back.

This recovery has historical significance, because this particular vehicle's next life was none other than Slee's Vlakvark. 80 series innovation would have stalled for centuries, had it not been for that hi lift. :lmao:

ok I'm sure there are better ones, what you got?

RicardoJM 02-14-2013 11:53 AM

Two hi-lifts were employed for this trail repair on a Bill Moore run a few years ago. Kunckle studs sheared and the vehicle needed to be raised up to fix the issue.

Uncle Ben 02-14-2013 01:16 PM

The irreplaceable tool stories are countless! Including the fact that so many folks insist on having hard valve stems or chrome sleeved valve stems. I cant imaging breaking down a bead quickly with anything less than a Hi Lift jack on the trail! Replacing broken or cut valve stems would turn into a several hour job rather than a few minute one!

subzali 02-14-2013 01:24 PM

Tim, I had almost the same exerience in college with a Jeep stuck in a snowdrift.

FJBRADY 02-14-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicardoJM (Post 227116)
Two hi-lifts were employed for this trail repair on a Bill Moore run a few years ago. Kunckle studs sheared and the vehicle needed to be raised up to fix the issue.

I remember that event.....glad I was there to lend a hand.:thumb:

What ever happened to that guy Schlegs?

RicardoJM 02-14-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJBRADY (Post 227133)
I remember that event.....glad I was there to lend a hand.:thumb:

Me too - it was nice to have air impact tools you carry. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJBRADY (Post 227133)
What ever happened to that guy Schlegs?

I don't see him on the forum much, but follow him on FB. I'm still looking forward to helping him get his FJ40 back on the road. :thumb:

Tch2fly 02-15-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben (Post 227124)
The irreplaceable tool stories are countless! Including the fact that so many folks insist on having hard valve stems or chrome sleeved valve stems. I cant imaging breaking down a bead quickly with anything less than a Hi Lift jack on the trail! Replacing broken or cut valve stems would turn into a several hour job rather than a few minute one!

Hey ... I resemble that remark :p:

ahh yes the Rubithon and the little sluice .. good times :thumb:

nakman 02-15-2013 11:22 AM

No way! hey Mike, good to see ya! :wav:

Uncle Ben 02-15-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tch2fly (Post 227170)
Hey ... I resemble that remark :p:

ahh yes the Rubithon and the little sluice .. good times :thumb:

I hoped that remark would bring you out of hiding! :D Miss ya man!

Corbet 02-15-2013 01:32 PM

I've used mine to hand winch by 80 approx 30' twice before moving my winch over from the 60. That was a lot of work solo in deep snow uphill both times using a strap and chain.

I've used mine around the house to while doing overhead work on our deck. Basically holding replacement joists in place while I lined up brackets and fasteners on a ladder.