Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Foundation Recommendations? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19166)

AxleIke 02-20-2013 08:04 AM

Foundation Recommendations?

My old man is looking to build a garage on his property, and it will need a foundation poured before we can build it.

That being said, he has some sites picked out, but we'll need a company that has an engineer that can assess the ground as well. This property is up in the mountains, and there are numerous underground springs as well as lots of decomposed granite.

I know a few of you are in related businesses. Anyone have a great company they'd like to see some business go to, or, any companies we should actively avoid?

Any other tips and advice for searching this out would be appreciated. Never done this before, and just getting started in researching what goes into a foundation.

Cheers!

DaveInDenver 02-20-2013 08:26 AM

Where approximately is the property? IOW, what county, I assume it's in Colorado.

Rezarf 02-20-2013 08:31 AM

Isaacs folks are up in Baily, not far from the Slaughter house trail area.

AxleIke 02-20-2013 01:03 PM

Up in Park County, about 45 min from Denver up 285. Sorry I forgot to put that in.

SteveH 02-20-2013 01:11 PM

Depending on what he's using it for, it would be much cheaper to build a pole barn and then perhaps put concrete down later for the floor. You would need to know the codes in Park County before you get too crazy with this idea.

AxleIke 02-20-2013 03:27 PM

Well, Park County is likely pretty lax. That said, it is supposed to be a parking garage, as well as a shop, with power, heat, etc...

I'm not sure what a Pole Barn is, but I'll look into it. Thanks!

SteveH 02-20-2013 03:52 PM

In many counties, a pole barn requires no permit. By code, they are generally intended for storage of animals or diesel-fueled agricultural implements, etc. Having said that, many people build them, pour a floor, and they become a shop. By typical definition, a pole barn does not have a foundation, but rather uses 4x4 or 6x6 poles buried 4-6' underground, spaced every 8'-12' or so, and then have supports and siding attached to them. There are dozens of pole barn building companies all over Colorado who could help answer your questions.

Telly 02-20-2013 05:51 PM

You are smart to conduct a geotechnical survey prior to pouring concrete. I don't know of any concrete subs that have one in house. If it was me, I would google "geotechnical engineer park county" to find someone local that might give you some free advice. If there are potential underground springs, they may want to drill test bores to verify water levels. they can also determine the correct depth of the footings and compaction requirements for your slab on grade. Caissons with grade beams may be the most cost effective method. Doug

AxleIke 02-21-2013 09:14 PM

Wow! Thanks guys. Great advice, I appreciate it. I'll look into that stuff. Cheers!

gr8fulabe 02-21-2013 09:22 PM

Not to hijack, but if anyone has similar knowledge for Boulder/Boulder Canyon, I'd love the info. I've been dreaming of a garage for years!

Thanks,