Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   I need help (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19212)

bomber22 02-27-2013 11:43 PM

I need help

all i want is to swap engines 78 to a 79 in a 1978 fj40. I have been putting this off for to long time. I have a flat side on the side of the house or a sloped drive way in front of a 1 car garage where the tools are close bye.I think i have most of the tools needed[ engine hoist, jack stands ,sockets and wrenches]. I am torn buy where this should happen[ side of the house or in the drive way with the slope in front of the garage]either way it's an outside job that needs to be done. THANKS BOMBER22/ LARS 720-261-6583
I'm off thur,fri,sat every other wend.

bomber22 02-28-2013 12:07 AM

if this helps I have never r&r an engine before, but I think I have the skills and mechanical abillity. just not sure where to start.I have gone on a couple of runs, scary night run 2012 with fishy and the argitine sign run with subzalli.

J Kimmel 02-28-2013 08:14 AM

Is it the same engine? that might help...if it is, that's not too hard, snap a few pics and start disconnecting things from the engine to remove it. Once you start taking apart the old one you'll see how it goes together, the new one drops right in and re-connects the same way. I've done a few, and seemingly daunting, once you start in it comes out pretty quick. When the replacement is bolted in, you've got all kinds of stuff hanging there to re-attach and everything generally only goes to one place, its all bent and routed to the right spot just reconnect.

DaveInDenver 02-28-2013 08:52 AM

Photos and notes are your friend.

When I fixed the engine in my truck I'd take a photo or series of photos, then sketch a diagram using tape and a marker to label each part and connection to match the sketch. Just about every part, tube, wire, pipe or bolt had a name and label. I had a notebook full of descriptions, some with photos, others with photocopied pages from my FSM.

I also went through a box of Ziplock bags with post-it notes describing specific bolts and parts that weren't obvious. Don't assume that anything is going to be obvious when you have a hundred pieces laying around your garage. You can pick out a water pump, but you'll sure as the sun rises forget the order of the bolts that go around it. A bag of bolts just looks like a bag of bolts, but a little note that just says "front right engine mount" helps a whole lot. Or if the bolts are different lengths and it's critical (like those on the timing cover, water pump and oil pump on a 22R) I numbered each of them to match a diagram.

You can see the tables and some of the parts I had laid out doing this.

http://www.armbrusterweb.com/photofo...s/page60_2.jpg

http://www.armbrusterweb.com/photofo...s/page60_3.jpg

You can paralyze yourself worrying about it so you just need to dive in and start. But don't do it with some organization.

Jacket 02-28-2013 09:46 AM

^What Dave says.

Put masking tape on all the emissions and vacuum hoses and label them with numbers, and then write down in a note pad where they go and/or put a corresponding piece of numbered tape on the destination/hook up spot. Get a big box of zip loc bags, and organize your hardware and random brackets and pieces into labeled bags. And take close up "before" pictures of everything before you dissemble and remove so that you can reference those pictures when something doesn't make sense.

baja1d 03-04-2013 10:38 PM

What part of town are you in? I'd recommend waiting until the weather warms a little but not July/August hot! Recently I opted to just cut a Blazer in half rather than deal with the disassembly while dealing with the snow & every nut/bolt. I agree with Jeremy, everything has its place. The use of masking tape helps tremendously as well... Use pencil to write, permanent marker isn't too permanent with some of the engine fluids. Fortunately there's a ton of 2F's around Denver if you get really stumped

nattybumppo 03-04-2013 11:56 PM

Is the '79 motor ready to go? or will you be swapping parts off of the '78 onto it? If it is complete and you won't be actually opening up the engine, keeping track of all the critical bolts people have been mentioning above shouldn't be a problem as you won't be removing them, and your project should be really simple.

Jenny Cruiser 03-05-2013 11:30 AM

I helped put a 79 motor in a 78 a few months ago. We pulled everything out at once and then put the tranny/t-case on the 79 after turning the fly wheel. Quick job. It was easier getting it out than putting it all back in though. It's easy to screw up the motor mounts fwiw.

bomber22 03-05-2013 10:37 PM

i'm going to wait until the weather gets a little nicer, not that it has not been nice so far this year. the swap will be pulling out a 78 2f from a 78 fj40 and putting in a 79 2f.
the 79 2f is pretty much complete except for emission stuff and a few odds and ends, nothing that should interfere with the install.

RicardoJM 03-06-2013 08:49 AM

Flat ground (versus a slope) would be better. Can you do it in the 1 car garage?

Have done a few engine removals/installs in 40s, it doesn't take a bunch of room. I swapped the engine/tranny in a single bay of my garage. A bunch of room is nice because you can spread out parts, but carefully organized all the parts you need to remove for an engine swap will fit in the bed of an FJ40 just fine.