Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   SBC Conversion CO Emission Questions (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19253)

NameAlreadyTaken 03-08-2013 09:37 PM

SBC Conversion CO Emission Questions
First Post...I hate to start it off this way, but I'm in a pinch.

I am currently in the process of a SBC (TBI) conversion on my 1973 FJ40. I just ordered the EZ body harness and was about to order a Howell TBI Harness when a question arose. What to do about the emissions?

I currently live in El Paso County which does not require an emissions test. However, I plan to move to an area this spring/summer that does require one.

Since I will eventually (in 5 years when I have to renew the collector plates) have to get an emissions test, I am wondering what emission/smog items I will need to pass emissions? Right now, I don't have or know anything as far as emissions go. Are there parts I need to get from the U Pay U Pay yard from a donor TBI vehicle?

Any help will be more than appreciated.

(I'll post some pics when I get a chance)

rockrod 03-08-2013 10:07 PM

It's simple, you need everything that is emissions related from the donor vehicle installed and functional on your 40. Most struggle with the EVAP system but IIRC the tbi set up is pre-OBD so it should be a pretty easy process. Howell should be able to tell you want you will need.

nattybumppo 03-08-2013 10:43 PM

Colorado no longer tests emissions on vehicles older than 1975. You should be able to renew without another test...

spectre6000 03-09-2013 10:39 AM

They still test if you want regular tags (which I prefer), just not as thoroughly.

Yeah, '73 you're good. My '74 is rock stock (including emissions equipment that may still function), but would have passed easily without. On the whole, emissions equipment are just devices that make the ability maintain and tune a car less than necessary (though there are exceptions). You can have a crappy tune and still be relatively clean running. When I had mine tested the HC limit was (and I'm sure still is) 1000 PPM... I came in at 14 PPM. This was tuning by ear (though I was a little lean in the slows).

If you tune it anywhere near where it should be, you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. I'm hoping to start a wideband revolution in the LC universe, but need more fuel economy data to make my case as the subjective benefits (performance, engine note, feeling of satisfaction knowing that your machine is as good as it can possibly be) are not very communicable. I have been getting 14 mpg with locked hubs and nasty weather though, and I think 15 mpg will prove the average 9 months out of the year. Not great by modern car standards, but beats the hell out of the 11 I was getting and the single digits I keep hearing about.

euroford 03-09-2013 11:00 AM


Originally Posted by spectre6000 (Post 228690)
They still test if you want regular tags (which I prefer), just not as thoroughly.

I don't really follow that you find that as a preference. i can understand not wanting your vehicle to be a polluter and choosing to maintain the emissions equipment, by why would you 'prefer' to have 'the man' look up under your rigs skirt once a year and decide if she's good to go or not??

fwiw, i'm not knocking your choice, its yours to make. i just don't get the upside that you see with it.

i am ALL ABOUT the antique plates. they look cool, you save your own time and money by not having to do the emissions test, my libertarian sensibilities love not having to subject to a government agency for approval, you can do what you want with your motor, and you don't have to worry about registration for 5 years at a pop.

i suppose some could see the 5 year reg as a downside, but it doesn't actually cost anymore assuming you keep the rig for 5 years.

RedCreeper 03-10-2013 04:31 AM

Hate emissions, nuff said. Had to sell my toy cuz of it. avoid if possible.

spectre6000 03-10-2013 09:33 AM

It's personal preference. I like the green plates (they look a million times more appropriate on an older car than the inkjet-looking collector plates), and I keep my cars maintained such that inspections have never been an issue.

Additionally, I've never had a car for 5 years and don't like the idea of paying for things I'm not likely to use. I'd rather have the government inspect a rig I will be using on government-funded roads (taking care of assets on which money has been spent is as or more important than keeping spending in check in the first place) than paying the government extra money for privileges I'm not likely to enjoy.

Uncle Ben 03-10-2013 09:50 AM

As Rock Rod stated. You need to know what the TBI setup came from. That will be the etest standard you will have to comply with. If you can get a vin # for the donor vehicle you life at the inspection station will get much easier. If you have no way of knowing what donor it can from I suggest going to a salvage yard and getting a vin from a dead GM truck 1993-1995. Those trucks had no smog pumps and not much else either except for a cat and evap canister. You need a vin that is no longer in the e test system. TBI are OBD but they are 1st generation so unlike OBD II that started in 1996 they have very few sensors.

RedCreeper 03-10-2013 01:39 PM

When i was looking into it i was told i needed to get a piece of paper from an inspection station that approved the vehickle to be tested as what ever the paper said to test at. Up here in weld co. it is still new so everyone is sticking to there guns on this. There are only a few of these approved inspectors around supposedly. I will have to do this for the next project. The guy also said basically what uncle ben said on the years and what has to be on the motor. Those years are best because less equipment on them.

teamextreme 03-10-2013 03:16 PM


Originally Posted by NameAlreadyTaken (Post 228669)
Since I will eventually (in 5 years when I have to renew the collector plates) have to get an emissions test,

You say you're renewing your collector plates, not getting them for the first time right? If so, you don't have to do a test anyway. Problem solved. Collector plates require an e-test when you get them, never again (unless you let them expire).

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.