Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Temporary Plates (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19276)

DaveInDenver 03-15-2013 07:37 AM

Temporary Plates

It's been a long time since we bought a vehicle (I am the anti-Chris, I bought my trusty Hilux 13 years ago). What's the story on license plates when you buy a car? What do I need to get temporary ones? Looks like the county wants the title in hand to issue them, so how am I supposed to drive the thing home to keep from being pulled over? This would be a private sale, not looking at car dealers.

euroford 03-15-2013 08:21 AM

going through this myself. during hours that the dmv is open, you can drive from the place of purchase to the nearest dmv if you have the title, bill of sale and insurance on you. after hours, weekends and holidays, you can drive the car all you want (with that stuff in the car), until the next opening hours of the dmv.

you can get temp plates with the title, bill of sale and insurance.

all of this info is on the interwebs if you google it.

AxleIke 03-15-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver (Post 229060)
It's been a long time since we bought a vehicle (I am the anti-Chris, I bought my trusty Hilux 13 years ago). What's the story on license plates when you buy a car? What do I need to get temporary ones? Looks like the county wants the title in hand to issue them, so how am I supposed to drive the thing home to keep from being pulled over? This would be a private sale, not looking at car dealers.

Dave, as stated above, you are fine with the bill of sale, title and insurance. Make sure you get insurance before.

That of course assumes you are buying a used vehicle from a private party. Dealerships will give you plates.

When I bought my 4runner, I called my insurance, got everything set up, but had them put it on hold until I was positive the deal went through. After I handed the guy cash and had the title in hand, I called the insurance guy, activated it, and had him email me the proof. I figured, if I got pulled over between there and the DMV, I'd explain the situation, show the cop the email on my phone and be okay.

At the DMV, I called the insurance guy and had him fax proof to them. Got my plates, and away I went.

DaveInDenver 03-15-2013 08:40 AM

I do have insurance, even have temporary cards available. BTW, State Farm told me that you have 14 days of leeway to notify them about insurance. IOW, if you are in an accident you can retroactively start your coverage on a newly added vehicle. I believe, if I understood correctly, that you would have to have an existing policy with them, though.

I did search this and was in this logical loop that to get temp tags you need a title but you won't have the title until you're driving home. Plus I'll likely be buying whatever I do in a different county, so it's confusing which DMV I'd need to hit. I think a signed title is my proof I didn't steal the sucker.

euroford 03-15-2013 08:42 AM

and you'll only need the temp plates if you have to go an emission test done.

if the vehicle is exempt, or if you get current etest cert paperwork from the seller (this is required, but not always done), you can just get full plates.

also: i wouldn't stress too much. the truck i'm buying in a couple weeks is up in avon, i suppose if its convenient i'll stop in avon and get temp plates, but if its not i'll just drive back here to louisville.

i've made a habit of printing out a sheet of paper with the words "just purchased in transit" and tapping it to the back window. i've driven past leo's and nobody has ever stopped me to saw howdy.

DaveInDenver 03-15-2013 08:48 AM

I know an e-test is required but guys outside of Denver metro don't seem to be too concerned with getting one ("Well, that's your problem not mine" said a seller in Garfield County), so I might have to do that myself. It sucks that Larimer County got snagged into Air Care Colorado.

corsair23 03-15-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver (Post 229071)
I know an e-test is required but guys outside of Denver metro don't seem to be too concerned with getting one ("Well, that's your problem not mine" said a seller in Garfield County), so I might have to do that myself. It sucks that Larimer County got snagged into Air Care Colorado.

Applies even to dealerships not in e-test country...We bought our LX from a dealership in Grand Junction. As I recall most dealerships in Denver metro area will give you an e-test voucher to cover the cost...No such luck from the GJ dealership - when I asked them they were like "e-test what?"...So yeah, the seller is supposed to provide an e-test but few ever do in my experience.

DaveInDenver 03-15-2013 02:32 PM

If they live and work outside the metro I wouldn't expect them to be too happy about coming into Denver for some stupid test and so I'm not surprised.

FJCDan 03-15-2013 05:29 PM

I am about to get a van from Steve H in the Springs, I am using it for parts so I am going to use my plates off my current van to get it home. the only difference being one year older and Vin #. Hope for the best. Do not want to have to go through all the temp tag and insurance.

euroford 03-15-2013 11:15 PM

scofflaw! :lmao: