Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   GoPro HERO3 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19317)

Fishy 03-22-2013 09:45 AM

GoPro HERO3

Does anyone have it? Happy with it?

My uses will be:

Strapping it to my helmet on climbs (oh yeah, my back feels THAT good)

Chest mount for fishing to rising trout

Mounted to the truck for runs

If I have it out of the waterproof case, does it pick up sound just like a regular video camera and not that muffled sound you hear? I've never owned any of the older versions so this is new to me.

TIMZTOY 03-22-2013 09:51 AM

I don't have one, but the people I know that do have them love them.
And try YouTube'ing some under water gopro

smslavin 03-22-2013 10:06 AM

i still have a hero2. resolution and a few other things have been upgraded on the 3 plus the wifi connection is built-in, no longer an add-on.

i have heard a few rumblings about some firmware issues but do not know the full extent of them.

DanS 03-22-2013 10:06 AM

I've got an older one.

The sound is a *little* better without the waterproof case, but not much.

That said, there's other uses that you haven't thought of:

Diagnosing suspension noises and stuff is MUCH easier with a camera. Not that I've fixed any of my squeaks and creaks, but now I know what I need to do to get rid of them.

Timelapse with it is really easy, and cool.

Dan

Fishy 03-22-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanS (Post 229478)
Timelapse with it is really easy, and cool.

Dan

I'm not very tech savvy, but can I just sit the camera down, press record and let it do it's thing..... then pick it back up and use a program on the computer to turn it into timelapse? That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

REI has a 20% off sale for members, plus I have some gift cards so I thought the GoPro3 Silver might be a good idea.

MTSN 03-22-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishy (Post 229481)
REI has a 20% off sale for members, plus I have some gift cards so I thought the GoPro3 Silver might be a good idea.

Yep and they just sent out dividends too! :thumb:

kurtnkegger 03-22-2013 06:53 PM

My daughters boyfriend has the 3 silver. He really likes it a lot, but says the only drawback for it is he wants to record more slow-mo shots. The black allows for that, where the silver doesn't go so slow...60 FPS compared to 30 FPS

Lars 03-22-2013 07:28 PM

[quote=Fishy;229481]I'm not very tech savvy, but can I just sit the camera down, press record and let it do it's thing..... then pick it back up and use a program on the computer to turn it into time lapse? That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

the are several good tutorials online either video on you tube or text instructions. just Google time laps gopro3

Jenny Cruiser 03-23-2013 01:32 AM

If you're not already thinking black you'll be happy with an old one for what you want to do with it.

farnhamstj 03-23-2013 07:57 AM

I have a hero2. no complaints. haven't felt the need to upgrade to 3.