Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Shifter popping out of first gear! (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19358)

Evrgrnmtnman 03-30-2013 03:27 PM

Shifter popping out of first gear!
 
For about a month now, my shifter keeps popping out of first gear. Now, its to a point where I have to hold the shifter in first gear with my hand till the truck starts moving for it to stay in first gear. All the other gears work fine. I did replace the shifter seat and bushing but that didn't help. Any thoughts....88 Toyota Pickup W56 5spd..

L43dean 03-30-2013 05:46 PM

Poppin' out eh?
 
Bugger, I had the same trouble with my L52 H.D. Turned out to be worn shifter forks. Try Marlin Crawler. Maybe you can replace the forks on your W-series without a complete tear down. Good luck!

Evrgrnmtnman 03-30-2013 07:15 PM

Thanks.........Joe at CTS said maybe the same thing. Hope its a easy fix.

spectre6000 03-31-2013 06:23 PM

Typically that's a worn synchro, though it will also happen if you chip a gear tooth too badly. Tranny rebuild or new tranny.

Evrgrnmtnman 03-31-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectre6000 (Post 230032)
Typically that's a worn synchro, though it will also happen if you chip a gear tooth too badly. Tranny rebuild or new tranny.

Thanks, I just spent $1,625.00 on the rebuild 40k ago.......

spectre6000 04-01-2013 02:11 PM

Who rebuilt it, and what are they calling a rebuild? I don't know how it works in the Toyota world around here, but I've seen VW "rebuilds" that were nothing more than a power wash and some new gaskets. Not saying that's what happened, but the two theories posited within the context of a recent rebuild both point to worn parts being reused that shouldn't have been. The last time I saw a tranny do that (in a '60 bug) it was a chipped 3rd gear from a bad downshift. The three or four times before that (all bugs and one bus from '60 to '78) were worn first gear synchros. Different makes and models, but trannies is trannies.

Evrgrnmtnman 04-01-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectre6000 (Post 230106)
Who rebuilt it, and what are they calling a rebuild? I don't know how it works in the Toyota world around here, but I've seen VW "rebuilds" that were nothing more than a power wash and some new gaskets. Not saying that's what happened, but the two theories posited within the context of a recent rebuild both point to worn parts being reused that shouldn't have been. The last time I saw a tranny do that (in a '60 bug) it was a chipped 3rd gear from a bad downshift. The three or four times before that (all bugs and one bus from '60 to '78) were worn first gear synchros. Different makes and models, but trannies is trannies.

Joe at CTS rebuilt it, using OEM parts....He came recommended.....

DaveInDenver 04-01-2013 04:25 PM

Joe didn't half ass it and he's probably right.

But also make sure your motor and rear transmission mounts are still sound.

AxleIke 04-01-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver (Post 230133)
But also make sure your motor and rear transmission mounts are still sound.

Definitely check this. It seems like it'd be obvious, but it isn't, and certainly a possibility since you had a rebuild done, and likely done right. I've heard of this being an issue numerous times on the interwebs, and its a reasonably cheap fix.

Evrgrnmtnman 04-01-2013 05:45 PM

Cool, I take a look at the mounts


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.