Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Trip and Event Reports (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dave's Frame fixing extravaganza. (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19400)

AxleIke 04-06-2013 09:29 PM

Dave's Frame fixing extravaganza.

I didn't realize today would be an event, but it certainly was.

We had Dave, myself, Marco, Matt R, Perry, and Bruce swing by for wrenching,welding, beer drinking, and some delicious ribs on Marco's fancy smoker.

The day started off with Dave Marco and I pulling the bed off of Dave's new Tacoma, and starting to prep the frame. His rust wasn't horrible, but it was definitely there, and there were many hours of grinding, sanding, and wire wheeling ahead. We pulled most of the brackets, the tires, shocks, and fuel filler off the frame, as well as some of the xmember bolts, so we could get a clear shot to clean things up.

After a time, Perry and Matt showed up, and both pulled their rigs into Marco's yard, and we started to have a great time. Matt needed to check out a few issues before Utah in a few weeks, and Perry needed to replace tie rods, tighten his steering box, and replace his CV axles. Between the 4 of us, we moved around working on all 3 trucks.

Well, they worked. I did some grinding, some cutting, some BSing, and some crawling around looking at stuff. Oh, and I whacked on some stuff with a hammer a few times.

Dave had purchased the CBI frame plates, which were very nice pieces, and he also brought some templates to cut out of some plate as well. All 3/16" stuff, which is a nice thickness for these frames. Marco cut out the templates using his torch, and then I gave it a go putting on the "fishes".

I got a nice lesson in torch cutting, and while I liked it, I like my plasma more. But, Marco's practiced hand made quick work of it, and the plates came out nicely.

After that, we threw self etching primer on the plates, and then Dave and Marco washed the frame with Dave's phosphorus stuff, and then hosed everything off. Then the frame got a coat of self etching primer, and everything was allowed to dry for a time. Then, we got the plates on, ground off the primer where the welds were going, and I burned everything in.

In the mean time, Matt had to run, but Bruce showed up. Marco got to work changing the oil in his 60, and Bruce got busy helping Perry get things buttoned up. Marco then changed out his power steering box, and got things tightened up around the truck.

After welding, Dave got his frame re-primered, and then 2 coats of paint on it. We then popped everything back together, and when I left, The truck was ready to go back on the road.

All in all, a great day. I haven't done anything much with the club for a while, and this was really great! I also decided I really want a Ham.

Anyway, I hope others took some more pictures, I took a few of the welding. Today was a PITA due to wind, and it took me a bit to get Marco's welder dialed in to where I wanted it. After that, things went well, though I certainly need more practice. I am currently struggling with depth control, linear speed, and consistent puddle movement. As such, the cosmetics are not where I want them to be. But, I don't believe Dave has any worries about strength, which is the number one concern.

After burning things in, Passenger side.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...e/IMG_0340.jpg

CBI plate, pass side

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...e/IMG_0342.jpg

Dave's front plate

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...e/IMG_0341.jpg

Driver side all painted up

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...e/IMG_0343.jpg

nakman 04-06-2013 10:21 PM

Looks like a stack of dimes to me Isacc, nice work. :weld:

I rolled up late to inspect the final product/test the ribs, looked really sweet what you guys did to that frame. And good to see you again Perry, been a while... look forward to seeing you more in the desert. :beer: :perry:

DaveInDenver 04-07-2013 06:51 AM

I didn't think to bring a camera unfortunately. Thought I saw Marco snapping photos of the work day.

He's being generous, it's pretty rusty for 12 year old truck. Still have plenty more time ahead sanding and painting. This took care of the most pressing stuff, though. I can deal with the rest of it over the summer in parallel with the other things I want to do to it. I've been holding off doing anything or even driving it much until I saw what I was up against.

It was breezy, so Isaac was fighting against the gas being blown away. We should have parked the truck inside. That would have made painting easier, too.

Those CBI plates were worth the money, really the only thing they could have done was to put a hole in them to match up to a vent in the frame that got covered but is still exposed from behind. Small complaint because otherwise for $60 they saved a ton of headache and look nice.

Driving home I'm pretty sure the truck seemed more solid. Could be that I wanted it to seem more solid, though. One thing is for sure, Toyota screwed the pooch on the design and manufacturing of these frames. This truck was never heavily wheeled and doesn't show evidence of ever being a work truck, so probably typical use. Camping, chores, etc and it has the start of the frame ripple. Unless the bed of a 1st gen Tacoma is literally never used I bet most of them have tweaked frames.

Thanks Isaac for giving up a Saturday on short notice. Marco for the help and use of your shop and especially for the ribs! Good to see you guys, Perry, Matt, Bruce and Nakman.

Sounds like it's time for a ham class and test.

Jacket 04-07-2013 08:45 AM

:cheers:

It was a fun day. Isaac and Dave - you guys kicked ass on that frame. Nice work.

Perry - Did you get that other CV installed in under an hour?

J Kimmel 04-07-2013 08:56 AM

looks awesome!

bh4rnnr 04-07-2013 09:39 AM

Great seeing everyone. Isaac, frame looks awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakman (Post 230470)
Looks like a stack of dimes to me Isacc, nice work. :weld:

I rolled up late to inspect the final product/test the ribs, looked really sweet what you guys did to that frame. And good to see you again Perry, been a while... look forward to seeing you more in the desert. :beer: :perry:

Was fun hanging out for a little bit. Like the new comuter:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacket (Post 230479)
:cheers:

It was a fun day. Isaac and Dave - you guys kicked ass on that frame. Nice work.

Perry - Did you get that other CV installed in under an hour?

Wasnt able to get the back bolts off from the diff to remove the CV axle. Ended up leaving it for now...

Thanks to everyone for helping out. Was a fun productive day. Truck drives great witht the new tie rods and adjustments. Thanks Marco for letting us wrench up there for the day:bowdown:. While driving home yesterday, started looking at the budget and seeing if I can possibly work new tires into it before Utah.......

:beer::beer:

Corbet 04-07-2013 07:48 PM

Work looks great. These are the kind of club days I wish I was closer for.:cheers: