Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Moab Camp Sites (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19414)

Telly 04-09-2013 08:54 AM

Moab Camp Sites

My wife, kids and I are talking about slipping out to Moab May 10-13 for a hiking/site seeing get away. I've been to Moab at least 20 times over the years and I typically find a great spot along Sand Flats Road or off Hwy 128 by the River. I usually arrive in Moab Thursday evening and my luck has been terrible the last 5 years finding a first come/first serve spot. I even had to go to Plan C and camp at the KOA :(. Any suggestions of finding a good spot that is not in a commercial campground? I'm not looking to go too remote but that is not out of the question. I have a portable toilet so pit toilet is not necessary. Anyone have a "secret spot" that most people don't know about? Thanks. Doug

Inukshuk 04-09-2013 09:41 AM

Where to start.....
There are some nice ones on Onion Creek road and great hiking around there.

Consult the Moab area BLM maps to see what areas are restricted.

Telly 04-09-2013 10:03 AM

I just talked to a nice lady at Arches NP. She suggested a few areas that are new BLM camping spots and some areas that are less known. Fisher Towers at Lower Onion Creek, Cowboy Campsite and Horsethief in Canyonlands, and Wind Wistle Campground 30 miles south of Moab. I'm thinking the Canyonland sites may be worth look and she said the chances are very good that we can find a spot there.

Telly 04-09-2013 10:44 AM

Any opinions or experience on the following BLM primitive camping site would be appeciated.

These are just past Dewey Bridge off Hwy 128
Lower Onion Creek - 4 sites available
Fisher Towers - 5 sites available

These are off Hwy 313 going towards Canyonlands.
Horsethief - 60 sites available
Cowboy - 6 sites available

Thanks.

baja1d 04-09-2013 08:31 PM

Camped out by the airport a few times. Nothing special but didn't cost anything either.

MDH33 04-09-2013 08:39 PM

I've had luck at Dead Horse Point SP when other places near Moab were full. It's always worth a drive through the Arches Campground for the possibility of a first come first serve spot opening up. And for non developed stuff, you dont have to go too far outside of Moab to find some great open country. :beer:

Telly 04-10-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDH33 (Post 230660)
I've had luck at Dead Horse Point SP when other places near Moab were full. It's always worth a drive through the Arches Campground for the possibility of a first come first serve spot opening up. And for non developed stuff, you dont have to go too far outside of Moab to find some great open country. :beer:

My initial plan was to leave in the middle of the night and arrive at Arches gate to grab a first come first serve site at Devils Gardens. I called Arches yesterday and was told they no longer offer the first come sites. Everything is reservation only, and all the sites were booked...of course.

I consider the Devils Garden the most scenic spot I have ever camped at...unbelievable views.

MDH33 04-10-2013 09:10 AM

That's a bummer about arches campground. :(

Try Dead Horse Maybe? There were first come first serve there too.

Telly 04-10-2013 10:00 AM

Yea...I'm thinking Dead Horse or Cowboy. They are very close to each other but Cowboy only has 6 sites (more private). The fam and I are looking forward to getting away and doing some hiking.

timmbuck2 04-10-2013 11:03 AM

Ever tried Bride Canyon on Gemini Bridges Road? Had good luck there...pretty cool place to camp.