Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   FJ40 Hardtop Gasket - Best Source? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19422)

PabloCruise 04-10-2013 01:01 PM

FJ40 Hardtop Gasket - Best Source?

1 Attachment(s)
Still working on painting the 40:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...t-new-tub.html
We started thinking about painting the top and whether it was worth it to take the top apart - unbolt the side panels from the fiberglass cap.
There is the gasket that goes between the side panels and fiberglass cap, and I am not sure about the best source for this?
In this SOR diagram I am talking about #5:
OEM price is $339 - I am surprised to see that.
Does anyone know if this is still available from Toyota?
Is the price actually over $300?
Would I be able to re-use my existing gasket?
Thanks. Any links to good hardtop rebuild threads are appreciated.

subzali 04-10-2013 01:20 PM

When I separated my top mine ripped. I am not surprised to see Toyota's price above $300 for that piece. Some folks on MUD have been saying that the bottom seal for a garage door works well, but I can't see how that would be possible with the curves you have to deal with.

I would take the top apart though, rust can form under the fiberglass cap.

subzali 04-10-2013 01:24 PM

BTW, having more hands taking the top apart may save the gasket. It's just old and brittle from age.

Personally, I would look at Toyota, SOR or CCOT for a new one if you need it. Maybe Cruiser Outfitters or Cruisercorps, but I'm not sure what they carry for restoration type stuff.

PabloCruise 04-10-2013 01:40 PM

Thanks Matt.
I imagine mine could be brittle.
Good to know that yours tore (I don't mean it is good that yours tore)
Also good to know about rust - ultimately it will make for a better repaint.
Still feeling a little sticker shock about a $300 gasket though...

subzali 04-10-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PabloCruise (Post 230725)
Thanks Matt.
I imagine mine could be brittle.
Good to know that yours tore (I don't mean it is good that yours tore)
Also good to know about rust - ultimately it will make for a better repaint.
Still feeling a little sticker shock about a $300 gasket though...

Yep, that's why I reused mine even though it's now 2 or 3 pieces. If/when I ever do what you're doing it will be replaced with new. For a trail truck it's been fine.

SteveH 04-10-2013 02:34 PM

Skip the $60 CCoT aftermarket gasket. Very unwieldy and no glue of any sort would stick to it - almost pure evil after I fought with it. I had to remove my rooftop 3x to get the *%^%&$% CCoT headliner to stick to any glue I tried, so I had extra joy in dealing with the gasket.

A garage door seal could work, but it would require careful notching and clamping along the way to fit the roof profile. If you can save the OEM gasket, try to do so - it's wonderfully engineered.

nuclearlemon 04-10-2013 02:50 PM

Lift the top a little at a time and use a screwdriver inserted 90 degrees (pointed inside from the outside) and slide it along to seperate the gasket from the sides. same to seperate from the top. scrub it up with westleys bleche white and a stiff nylon brush, coat with decent rubber protectant. i didn't glue mine on, just started all the bolts loosely until i was sure it was set and watched it when i was tightening down. the gasket has little ribs in it to keep the moisture out, so it doesnt' need glue and i didn't want something that might suck the moisture from the rubber.

definitely scrub it up tho, it will make it nice and pliable. when they get stiff and crunchy, they will leak. had that issue in my 71, water was pouring down the corner windows. cleaned that gasket and reassembled and never had an issue again.

PabloCruise 04-10-2013 05:07 PM

Awesome. Thanks everyone, I will try the tear down w/o a replacement.

Rezarf 04-10-2013 10:42 PM

I got a complete gasket on mud that was pliable and in good shape for $35 off mud last year. Just FYI

Jenny Cruiser 04-10-2013 10:53 PM

I'll be taking mine apart soon as well. Anxious to see what it looks like. The consensus on mud is to bite the bullet and buy new OEM. With the discount it's still over $300 IIRC. For everything I need I think Dan quoted me over $1,400. I've already got some bits though. Otherwise it's north of $1,600 to do a complete replacement of all the rubber bits.:(