Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Trip and Event Reports (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Just what I was looking for.... (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19682)

Fishy 05-31-2013 06:44 PM

Just what I was looking for....

6 Attachment(s)
I mentioned yesterday that I just wanted to get out a little. Nothing major, nothing over planned. Sometimes it's just nice to get out and hit the dirt road and see where it goes. I opened page 50 on the Colorado DeLorme Atlas and picked some roads. No GPS today, I didn't even turn it on. I didn't want to know how far I went, or how far I had to go. Topo paper maps only, just because.

I had a little stream in mind that I wanted to check out. I was wondering if it held any fish. I left the house at about 5:15am with a large coffee and a small cooler with some water. I also packed my 6'6" 3wt Diamondglass fly rod and some dry flys.....just in case. I also packed some tools and a few spare suspension parts because I just did a new setup and I wanted to find some bumps to test it out.

I hit 25 south to Wolfenberger Rd and west into the Pike National Forrest. The goal was to check out some of the spur roads off Rampart Range Rd. I ended up on Jackson Creek, Dakan Rd, FR503, FR563, Bergen Park Rd, Hidden Valley Rd, FR348, and maybe some others that I didn't see on the map. I was hoping to just roll the windows down and catch some fresh Colorado air in my lungs. I was beat down from work this week and I needed some good 'ol fashioned dirt road driving.

Well, I found the dirt roads, found some rocks to play on, found a stream, found some tiny brook trout willing to take a dry fly, found some deer, found some views and took a couple deep breaths of Colorado mountain air. And..... I was home in time for lunch with my kids.

New suspension setup worked fine (80 Series L Shocks +mods to fit a 100) I have a few more sway bar tweaks to make. The fishing was in a tiny stream with VERY spooky brookies and tight brush. It was a "hands and knees" operation, very soft casts and 7x tippet. One bad cast, or shadow and they were GONE.

I took Rampart Range Rd north to 67 on the way home. It was PACKED......I mean JAM PACKED with people. I didn't see one other person all morning until I pulled onto that road. Every single pullout had a camper or a tent. Prior to that, it was just me...... just what I needed.

Fishy 05-31-2013 06:49 PM

6 Attachment(s)
...yeah.... That deer is mid air jumping that fence. Total luck, I just put the iPhone out the sunroof and hit the button.

Fishy 05-31-2013 06:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've decided that I don't get up early and drive around enough.....

bgoodheart 05-31-2013 09:03 PM

Looks like it was a great day, Stan. Wish I could have bugged out of work!

RicardoJM 06-01-2013 12:40 AM

Nice Stan, very nice:D.

FJCDan 06-01-2013 09:39 AM

Nice catch, Rocky Mountain sardines.

bh4rnnr 06-01-2013 10:29 AM

Looks like a good day Stan. Need to get the ol fly rods out and see if I remember how to use them:eek:.

subzali 06-01-2013 02:59 PM

Nice Stan, my dad and I dirtbike that area a lot. Love it anywhere off of rampart range and Jackson creek roads, though we have met idiots on Dakan road