Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   The Bike Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Tubeless vs. normal tubes (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19728)

nakman 06-07-2013 12:12 PM

Tubeless vs. normal tubes

What's the consensus on running a tubeless system on a moto? And by tubeless that really means a skinny tube that doesn't really get bigger when it inflates, just holds the bead really well. I removed my front tire and realized I had a tubeless deal, maybe that's why it was so tough to remove? So now I'm wondering if I should keep it and stick the new tire on there, or should I remove it and put a normal tube in.

subzali 06-07-2013 12:53 PM

Curious about this as well. I can see the point on a mtb, on a moto I'm a little confused...

baja1d 06-07-2013 01:57 PM

I absolutely love mine. The "Moose Run" was my first experience with it. Normally, I would have expected to change at least one of my tires but Didn't have too....at least on my bike. Ran the whole weekend @ 10psi in the rear. I do have one complaint & that's because I never added the balance beads. The fire road to & from the trial system sucked. Gotta them now but still haven't installed

60wag 06-09-2013 07:42 AM

I run the Tubliss system front and rear. It has worked great and I have about a 1000 miles on it. I'd leave it in there.

nakman 06-10-2013 08:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah I left it on there, got the new tire on the front. Here's what it looks like- when there's 100 psi in the red tube its shape doesn't really change much, but I guess its purpose is just to maintain a super tight bead...

farnhamstj 06-11-2013 08:56 AM

I'm an regular tube kind of guy. I just dont see what you gain by being "tubeless" I haven't looked at the weight comparison, but I imagine the weight of that 100psi tube and tire sealant is higher than a regular tube.
I've bent enough rims on my moto running 17psi in tires, so I can't see running a lower pressure.
There has been some issue with the 100psi tube being damaged by heat and rim rim strips.

If the bike came with it, I'd run it, but I wouldn't go out and spend the $$

baja1d 06-11-2013 12:46 PM

My switch was prompted by a trials tire in the rear. Heavy duty tubes just were not holding up. At $20/ tube I figured it'd add up quick. Still running regular tube up front but that has rarely caused a trail side tube change

Caribou Sandstorm 06-12-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakman (Post 234111)
What's the consensus on running a tubeless system on a moto? And by tubeless that really means a skinny tube that doesn't really get bigger when it inflates, just holds the bead really well. I removed my front tire and realized I had a tubeless deal, maybe that's why it was so tough to remove? So now I'm wondering if I should keep it and stick the new tire on there, or should I remove it and put a normal tube in.

Tubeless rocks

subzali 06-12-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm (Post 234445)
Tubeless rocks

On a moto?

baja1d 06-13-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 234450)
On a moto?

Yep, I'd run tubeless with a knobby, just a little higher psi than the trials.