Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Just got Apple TV (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19771)

farnhamstj 06-14-2013 08:18 PM

Just got Apple TV

Nakman- you were right

freakin' awesome. Watching youtube of Annoying orange on 40" -Sweet!!

Keith 06-14-2013 08:31 PM

We've had one for years and haven't paid the cable company since. It's great!

OilHammer 06-14-2013 09:48 PM

stock or modified?

farnhamstj 06-14-2013 10:28 PM

Oem

Rezarf 06-14-2013 10:47 PM

Yeah, we ditched cable two years ago and haven't looked back. Apple TV all the way.

spectre6000 06-19-2013 07:19 PM

Please elaborate. My wife and I talked about it a while back and it didn't seem a viable replacement.

Corbet 06-19-2013 08:07 PM

I'm tied to Direct TV as a Packer Fan. That or a $75 bar bill each week. But if not I'd be there with you guys.

Groucho 06-20-2013 08:53 PM

AppleTV is a cool thing. I remember when I got my first AppleTV way back in '08...

:beer:!!

To elaborate. AppleTV is kind of like an iPod for videos. Streaming videos from many different sources. Netflix, sports channels, youtube hulu and vimeo just to name a few. All you really need is a computer with iTunes, a wireless network and internet access. Just to put it into my perspective. When I first considered AppleTV, I just thought "wow, now the wife and I don't have to get up to put the movies in the DVD player, and the library of all our movies is at our fingertips!". I was sold. Now you just need a friend with a hard drive and some time...

nakman 06-20-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectre6000 (Post 234858)
Please elaborate. My wife and I talked about it a while back and it didn't seem a viable replacement.

We have a $40 digital antenna for local channels. Rarely watch it, but I do watch the Bronco games in the fall, and it's full HD. Our kids have a few shows they like, all of which are on demand through Netflix. We have one Netflix account that can be accessed from either of our phones, either of our ipads, our Apple TV, our Blueray player, and our Xbox. Even simultaneously, watching different things.. . for $10/month. What's interesting is that since it's more of an event to watch something, it almost never comes up- our TV upstairs is inside a closed armoir, and even our kids go weeks on end now without asking to watch something.

We also have a Hulu account for more current TV. I literally only care about one show- wife watches about 2-3, and we watch that almost exclusively on the ipad from bed. Usually on the bed, while we fold laundry.

Only downside is the Nuggets are on Altitude, so there's no basketball in our house. I used to like watching basketball, but it's sorta just lived without me for the last few years, don't really miss it. Once our kids are older and more independent, maybe I'll get back into professional sports again but for now it's almost not even on the radar.

Finally, we pay Pandora $4/month for no commercials, and run that in the house probably 4 hours/day- it's what we turn on when we get home, and it stays on until we go to bed. Again one account for multiple phones & devices even at the same time. Can't believe we used to pay $80 for tv..

DaveInDenver 06-21-2013 05:49 AM

Yeah, we ditched pay TV years ago. The only thing I miss is CU football, but I just listen to it on the radio while doing other stuff. Or since we save several hundred dollars a year not paying for TV we will occasionally just get tickets and actually go to games.

Another option if you're not into Apple is the Roku. That is what we went with when we set up our streaming. We recently cut off Netflix but still have Amazon Prime. It also does Hulu, YouTube, etc. I have an application running on it that allows me to stream iTunes content to it as though it were an Apple TV.