Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   For Sale / Wanted (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wanted 22RE (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19789)

Old40Dog 06-17-2013 06:09 PM

Wanted 22RE

Need to find a decent used 22RE or a builder engine for my daughter Rachel's '92 mini truck.

She threw a connecting rod Sunday afternoon returning from running the Spring Creek Annual Father's Day Run with me. Bad ending to an otherwise great fun day.

Anybody have a line on one?

Sleepy 06-17-2013 10:06 PM

Jesse at ATLR has 22re's that are brand new. He can install, or will sell outright. It might be worth a look. I had one put in my son's 4runner a while back - runs great!

mikeyhcrana 06-18-2013 05:35 AM

I have one right now I'm selling. I'm parting out my 89 4runner. You can still hear it run or drive it if you want. It has a rod knock it sounds like. $100, you can have the whole motor minus wiring.

Evrgrnmtnman 06-18-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyhcrana (Post 234733)
I have one right now I'm selling. I'm parting out my 89 4runner. You can still hear it run or drive it if you want. It has a rod knock it sounds like. $100, you can have the whole motor minus wiring.

You have a W56 Tranny in that 4runner you want to sell?

mikeyhcrana 06-18-2013 02:14 PM

Yes, I have a w56 for sale in it. How much do you want, just the gearbox? I was thinking about keeping it all as a 5 speed conversion but, I could do it separate too.

I got a parting out thread for it too. I don't want to hijack this quest for a good 22re thread, sorry 'bout that.

Evrgrnmtnman 06-19-2013 04:30 PM

Bump for the thread, I would try Jesse like someone suggested at ATLR....

ajax 06-23-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old40Dog (Post 234714)
Need to find a decent used 22RE or a builder engine for my daughter Rachel's '92 mini truck.

She threw a connecting rod Sunday afternoon returning from running the Spring Creek Annual Father's Day Run with me. Bad ending to an otherwise great fun day.

Anybody have a line on one?

Have 22rte turbo and r151 tranny came out of 86 runs good shape rebuilt head good compression brother also rebuilt turbo before he pulled have engine tranny tcase and wiring, biggest issue engine is in Kansas till I get back there to bring it back

MountainGoat 07-10-2013 06:31 AM

I don't know if you found a motor yet Dave, but here's a dirt cheap 2.7 with only 44k on it. The price would almost make it worth the extra work to swap. :D

Old40Dog 07-10-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainGoat (Post 235843)
I don't know if you found a motor yet Dave, but here's a dirt cheap 2.7 with only 44k on it. The price would almost make it worth the extra work to swap. :D

Any idea how much extra work?

MountainGoat 07-10-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old40Dog (Post 235865)
Any idea how much extra work?

Apparently there is a boatload of data on the web. I did a quick google and found this thread on the Marlin Crawler forum right off:

"From the "Drivetrain Swap Question" Thread:

The 2.7l 3RZ Engine swap is much much much easier than many fear.

In fact, your friend can use his existing stock W56 and transfercase, as it is a direct bolt on to the 3RZ's W59 bellhousing.

As for wiring, about 75% of the wires are self contained in the Engine > ECU harness, so all that is left to wire in would be the idiot gauges, ignition, alternator, starter, battery, and possibly rewire your headlights and blinkers.

As for the exhaust, I just routed mine down and below my bellhousing and placed my OBD-II cat right in the stock location as my factory cat, so everything up to the cat is compatible so he doesn't even have to change his exhaust system if he doesnt want to.

The factory 2-core radiator should be sufficient, but I would recommend using a 3-core rad. from either a 86-87' Turbo 22R-TE p/u or from a 3.0 3VZ 88-95 p/u.

If you have never done an engine swap that requires wiring before, then expect to take about a month to get it finished.

New engine mounts must be created. I cut my stock mounts off my frame and made new ones, and with a 1985 Swap that I am working on, we just modified the Tacoma engine mounts to fit right in the stock frame mounts, so no cutting on the frame was required.

Crossmember: For all 84+ rigs, stock crossmember works in the stock location. For 79-83 trucks, the crossmember will need to be moved reward as the newer style transmissions (g- or W-series) are a bit longer (~4";) than the old school trans (L-series)."

Sure would be nice performance improvement for Rachel ... :D