Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Ham & CB Radio Corner (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Antenna recommendations for a 40? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19889)

Rezarf 07-06-2013 10:36 PM

Antenna recommendations for a 40?

I am looking to add a HAM 2m antenna onto the 40 to compliment my new Yaesu 2800m radio. I would like to add it to my tire carrier, or to the front bumper, or to the side of the hood.

Suggestions? I don't want to mount it in a way that limits the benefits of the HAM reception but the order above is my preference. If it is on the tire carrier, then I have a couple of feet to work with before I drag it into my garage sill.

If I put in on the front bumper then I have about 4' of space, if I mount it onto the hood then I have about 2.5' of clearance.

I am trying to get up and running for less than $200, I dropped $100 on the radio. So I have about a $100 for the antenna, cable and fittings. Thanks!

While I am asking noob questions, can a guy run CB, Radio, and HAM all through the same miraculous antenna... if so, I do want!

RicardoJM 07-07-2013 06:08 AM

I have been running the home brew on my 40. It is about as cheap as you can go. I did have an issue with the quality of my soldering but a little re-work in that area and it has been fine. This link is the build thread. I have min mounted to the front bumper.

kurtnkegger 07-07-2013 08:33 AM

I mounted a 1/4 wave antenna to my tire carrier. It's about 19" long, and sticks up a bit above the tire. Mount, antenna and cable ran about $50 at HRO. The antenna can be easily removed if you feel a 5/8 wave antenna would be better, and can easily be stored in the tub.

Rezarf 07-08-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rezarf (Post 235704)

While I am asking noob questions, can a guy run CB, Radio, and HAM all through the same miraculous antenna... if so, I do want!

Does this exist?:thumb:

Hulk 07-08-2013 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rezarf (Post 235776)
Does this exist?:thumb:

You can find some parts online to make this work, but you may not get all three in one antenna. Check out the AR-1A for a method to combine AM/FM with CB.

If you really want to go this route, here are some links:
Wagongear antenna mount <-- kind of funny looking to see a long CB antenna in a place where normally an FM radio antenna goes.
Attachment 33614

If you like this, you can purchase here. Instructions can be found here.

One thing to consider is that virtually any combo is going to have some performance loss compared to dedicated antennas. I have the Yaesu 7800, and my initial antenna purchase was a fancy dual band antenna. I eventually returned it for a simple, inexpensive Larsen 5/8 wave whip for the 2 meter band only. The performance is absolutely stellar, and I would recommend it highly. Replacing the whip is super cheap, too. Read more on my ancient thread about antennas.

I have a 2800 that I use as a base station at home. It's a great radio. The only reason that I would buy the 7800 (now 7900) again is for the remote front panel, which makes mounting in an 80 much nicer.

MDH33 07-09-2013 07:12 AM

Drew, I'm running an FT2900 in my 40 and I opted for a Comet SBB25. It's a great 2M antenna and only $50. About 4' high. I have it mounted on the flat top surface of my PS front fender. This antenna can fold over, so no issues getting it into the garage. I went ahead and just drilled though my fender for the mount. Super sturdy and low profile. I can really get out with the 75 watts of the 2900 and this antenna combo.

rover67 07-09-2013 10:38 AM

I ran the AR-1A thing for a while and used a larsen NMO mount CB antenna for both CB and AM/FM. If you listen to AM/FM at all don't do it. reception SUCKS. Maybe it is the way I had it setup... I did it by the book though.

I run that same Larsen 5/8 wave antenna that Hulk is referencing and like it a lot. It seems very branch resistant and was cheap. Also seems to work well.

Rezarf 07-10-2013 09:17 PM

Thanks guys I have been studying over at QRZ and I am consistently hitting 85% now, so I am going to study a bit more then go for the test, then I will get serious about mounting the HAM... into the cage I have been wanting to build... for the resto I have been wanting to do... oh no!