Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Trip and Event Reports (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Quadruple bypass? 7/24/13 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19980)

Rzeppa 07-24-2013 07:02 PM

Quadruple bypass? 7/24/13

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, so we went over Loveland Pass to get to the trailhead, we went over Georgia Pass while on the trail, and then went over Kenosha Pass to get home. Somewhere in there we must have gone over another pass between Loveland and Georgia Pass. Anyway, Dan and I had an awesome time!

Rzeppa 07-24-2013 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 100 guys never showed up so it was just Dan and I. He was in his 3rd gen runner and I was in Alice the FJ60. I took a lot of pictures out the windshield and window because we didn't stop much. Trailhead to trailhead was over 30 miles, but we made good time just being the two of us.

Rzeppa 07-24-2013 07:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is the approach to Radical Hill. There is a fork at the base where you can go left up Webster Pass, or right up the much steeper Radical Hill, which was the route we went.

Rzeppa 07-24-2013 07:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Even though these are your basic Forest Service trails, there were still a few technical sections. Dan has no sliders on this rig and had to do some deft maneuvering to avoid any body damage.

Rzeppa 07-24-2013 07:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Radical Hill itself isn't that technical, but like so many of our trails above timberline it is strewn with salad-bowl sized rocks, has some steep sections, and certainly some pucker-factor for those worried about rolling down the hillside into the valley. In these pictures you can see the abandoned mines and mine structures. I have so much respect for those sourdoughs who hauled all that stuff up there with mules and survived the harsh climate up there.

Rzeppa 07-24-2013 07:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The final climb up Radical Hill has some serious pucker factor. I got some serious pucker when I got vapor lock about 2/3 the way up that last hill. Let's just say I was really glad I knew what it was, who to blame (US Congress and the ethanol mandate) and we were just patient, waited 15 minutes to cool down and then get the rest of the way up the hill where my gas tank wasn't so dang far below my fuel pump.

Rzeppa 07-24-2013 07:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We saw a bunch of mountain goats up there with their kids playing in the snow field across from us. I didn't have the right lens on to get them and we were dealing with my vapor lock. But here's some goat fur. Soup anyone? (yes dating myself with that reference)

Rzeppa 07-24-2013 07:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Poseur shots at the top of Radical Hill.

Rzeppa 07-24-2013 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Money shot: Lightning struck at the very moment I pressed the shutter release. Way cool!

Rzeppa 07-24-2013 07:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It rained a good bit while we were up on top, but it made it look kinda cool.