Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Whine with small tires? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19983)

Jacket 07-25-2013 10:17 AM

Whine with small tires?

This is for my 80 - standard drive train with 4.88's and 35" tires. I took the 80 on a road trip last week, and since most of the driving was on pavement, I took off the 35's and installed my stock tires (31" p-rated Goodyears). Running this setup I noticed a significant whine that seemed to be more noticeable with higher speeds (70+ mph), and would fade or go away when I was coasting. It sounded like a gear whine, but my wife also speculated the bikes on the roof may be whistling in the wind (or a combination of both whistling and whine). But I took the bikes off when we got home and drove the truck to work the next day, and I still heard the whine. It's not the standard 80 tranny whine - this was much louder and noticeable.

Yesterday I put the 35's back on, and I drove it to work this morning. I didn't really hear any whine like we heard on the trip. And prior to the road trip I had never heard the whine.

So I guess my question is whether running the smaller street tires with my setup would cause a whine to manifest or become more pronounced?

nuclearlemon 07-25-2013 10:57 AM

could it just be that you can't hear the whine over the bigger tires?

Jacket 07-25-2013 11:21 AM

I wondered about that, but it was loud enough that I think it would overpower even the MT's. I need to get it up to highway speeds to be sure, but yea, I think I would still hear it.

60wag 07-25-2013 12:36 PM

Maybe you have some whiny little tires?

rockrod 07-26-2013 04:31 PM

mine does the same thing. I didn't notice the gear whine until after I downsized to some 285 all terrains. It's rather loud under mild to moderate throttle. it gets progressively quieter as more throttle is applied and goes away completely if i lift off.

Something tells me the carrier and/or the pinion bearings are not carrying enough preload which allows the gears to change alignment ever so slightly so that the pitch changes to an audible frequency under certain speeds and drive train loads. It's getting worse and I am starting to wonder if a V8 is too much for the stock rear axle. I am part time now so there is no longer a split of the torque that would be shared in a full time truck.

rover67 07-26-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockrod (Post 236709)
It's getting worse and I am starting to wonder if a V8 is too much for the stock rear axle. I am part time now so there is no longer a split of the torque that would be shared in a full time truck.

if it is equal to or greater than the strength of the 60 rear end I kinda doubt it.

I mean I really really doubt it.

OR I have been reeeeally lucky. Like really really lucky.

rockrod 07-27-2013 09:28 AM

It's probably just a mileage issue for me. The front end let go a few years ago on the way home from Durango. Par for the course I suppose.