Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Need an engine.... (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20022)

TonkaToy 08-04-2013 09:57 AM

Need an engine....

On my way up to the 40s run and the old girl finally let me know she was ready to go. :mad:
Pretty bad rod knock and I'm not interested in rebuilding it. So, I need some engine suggestions. I did find one on Craig's, 3fe with trans. I was originally thinking about a sbc conversion but I've heard good things about the 3fe and it might be easier than going v8. Any advice or suggestions?

baja1d 08-04-2013 01:39 PM

I can't speak for the 3FE but can regarding a 1F to 2F. I originally thought that it would be a direct swap. Yes it's true that the motor mounts are the same, pattern wise, but it was still a lot of work regarding electrical, linkage, fuel delivery, etcetera. Sometimes I wonder if a 350 wouldn't be easier, certainly cheaper for maintenance/repair parts. I guess I'll find out on the next build!!!

nattybumppo 08-04-2013 02:39 PM

I think you should put in the 3FE, but keep the manual transmission. Since I have a 3FE in my garage ready to swap into my 40 someday, I would love to be able to go to school on you! Besides, 20 more HP than a 2F, fuel injection, better balanced from the factory with the ability to rev considerable higher...nice swap. And you are dealing with similar HP and torque rather that doubling it like you would with a V8. AND it is still Toyota! Do it!

TonkaToy 08-04-2013 03:16 PM

Sounds like you've done the research already. I am just now looking into it. Looks like it might be doable and a big upgrade from the F engine that's in it, right? Whats holding you back, Sasha?
I had a 327sbc in my last 40 and loved it, thats why Im on the fence with the 3fe. The sbc conversion is not a cheap item either.
I also have the pto winch on it and would like to keep it. That added front driveshaft can be a clearance issue on a sbc, I think. I had to have the header cut and turned to clear it.
Btw, I will now have some parts and a block off the f engine that's in it for sale! Jim C carb and all.

RicardoJM 08-04-2013 03:45 PM

Is budget a major constraint? If so, a used 2f and be done with it.

Bummer to hear your engine took a dump. You are going to like your new engine.:D

nattybumppo 08-04-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonkaToy (Post 237051)
Sounds like you've done the research already. I am just now looking into it. Looks like it might be doable and a big upgrade from the F engine that's in it, right? Whats holding you back, Sasha?
I had a 327sbc in my last 40 and loved it, thats why Im on the fence with the 3fe. The sbc conversion is not a cheap item either.
I also have the pto winch on it and would like to keep it. That added front driveshaft can be a clearance issue on a sbc, I think. I had to have the header cut and turned to clear it.
Btw, I will now have some parts and a block off the f engine that's in it for sale! Jim C carb and all.

It sounds like the major difficulties are adapting/splicing in the wiring harness, and figuring out how/where to add an electric fuel pump. I haven't done it yet because I've been waiting for you to do it first and make the mistakes, then my install can be perfect! No, seriously, I have already rebuilt my 2F and carb, so the 40 is running great (or will be when I button up the transmission project) so my incentive level is very low on this project...it is an "it would be fun and cool" item on my list. And the other issue is that I might want to swap out the aging 3FE in my 62 with my spare rather than put it in the 40.

I would be nervous about that PTO clearance...

subzali 08-05-2013 06:32 AM

The 3FE makes its power higher in the rpm range. If you want EFI go 2FE. I'll post up some links later

TonkaToy 08-05-2013 12:54 PM

Matt, its not a matter of wanting to go EFI, its a matter of needing an engine that runs! There is a guy currently selling a 3FE with puter and all, which is why I considering that option. Anything other then the enemic F engine thats in it will be a 'come up'!
My last 40 had a blueprinted 327SBC in it and it was not lacking of power, by any means. Im just not sure what direction to go....jump on the 3FE thats available now or keep looking for a new powerplant. I am in the middle of another restoration project right now too and I will have to get that further along before I can start an engine swap anyway, im outa room!

powderpig 08-05-2013 02:38 PM

You will find that you will need both the 3fe motor mounts and the 2 f motor mounts to make this work(one each, do not remember which side I used from what series engine), You will also need to change out to a smaller brake booster as well, the EFI intake rubs on the brake booster. Then some of the other stuff people mentioned to make this a cool conversion. Good luck making the choice

TonkaToy 08-05-2013 06:30 PM

I am also concerned about drive shat clearance for the pto winch, but, if I have to sacrifice that for some power, so be it. I would move to an electric one, if needed.
Anyone happen to have another source for an engine? 2fe, sbc/kit, anything? I think I will have to finish with my current restoration first before I can get the 40 redone and that should be another month or so. I have no room left in my shop at the moment.
I just have a feeling that moving to the 3fe is going to be a huge undertaking that I may regret in the end anyway.
I have some time to come up with other options, I guess is my point.
Thanks for all the input from everyone!