Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Dead Battery Gunk Removal (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20059)

Crash 08-11-2013 07:38 PM

Dead Battery Gunk Removal

Left the AA batteries in my handheld CB too long and now the battery compartment is full of white crud. Any easy cleanup methods or is simple scraping it out the way to go?

Hulk 08-13-2013 02:28 AM

Coca-cola?

DaveInDenver 08-13-2013 06:47 AM

Plain white vinegar is the solvent you'd use to neutralize and clean battery corrosion. If it's not too bad, use a brush (an old toothbrush works well) and q-tips to scrub the terminals and battery compartment. You can rinse with distilled water and, if they're rusty, sand the terminals with fine emory cloth. You don't need to clean all the rust necessarily but you do need to expose bright metal to make them conductive.

It won't hurt anything to get vinegar and water inside electronics (particularly distilled), just let it dry before you power it up. Most things made now use water-soluable flux when they solder so finished assemblies are put through what looks like a dishwasher to clean them.

Crash 08-13-2013 08:59 AM

Coca-cola will dissolve anything! In grade school a teacher took a tooth someone pulled out in class and put it in a bottle of Coke and a few days later, the tooth was completely dissolved. Sort of changed my attitude towards soft drinks. Glad no one ever tried that with beer in college!
So Dave, are you saying I can just put the CB in the dishwasher? :hill: Probably do the dirty work by hand, instead. :thumb:
Thanks guys, now we know.

DaveInDenver 08-13-2013 09:12 AM

Actually, yes, you can wash electronics in the dishwasher. But only stuff that won't be hurt by water, the PCBs themselves. Speakers, mic elements, mechanical stuff like tuning knobs and displays cannot. So don't wash your CB unless you disassemble it. OTOH, I've run cell phones through the laundry and they weren't ruined...

kurtnkegger 08-16-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 237447)
Glad no one ever tried that with beer in college!

I've ran this exact experiment for the last 35 years by washing thousands of gallons of beer over my teeth. No adverse reaction from the beer....the experiment continues...:cheers::beer:

Crash 08-16-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtnkegger (Post 237690)
I've ran this exact experiment for the last 35 years by washing thousands of gallons of beer over my teeth. No adverse reaction from the beer....the experiment continues...:cheers::beer:

No adverse reactions, 'cept maybe a little brewer's droop? :thumb:

kurtnkegger 08-16-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 237692)
No adverse reactions, 'cept maybe a little brewer's droop? :thumb:

To the teeth man, to the teeth :lmao: