Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   4Wheeling and Event Staging Area (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Bill Moore Lake - Post Rally Run Sunday August 25 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20095)

Rzeppa 08-20-2013 12:45 PM

Bill Moore Lake - Post Rally Run Sunday August 25

I will lead Bill Moore Lake Trail this Sunday the 25th. It is a fairly easy trail that any Toyota 4x4 can do. It is an out-and-back trail that starts just outside Empire, so it is pretty close to town. The trail is quite scenic, and isn't that long - I have made it to the lake itself in an hour when I was in a hurry. But I don't plan on rushing the group, it'll probably take around 2 hours each way, and we'll hang out at the lake for an hour or so.

We'll meet at the McDonalds at the El Rancho exit of I-70 (exit 252) at 9:00 and depart at 9:30. That should put us at the trailhead around 10:00 or so to air down.

Bring Lunch, dress appropriately for Colorado's high country. CB channel 4.

:cheers:

dcdoran 08-21-2013 10:07 AM

Hey Jeff. I'm thinking about joining this. I'm not a member yet but need to get my first run in anyway. Are you doing this regardless of group size?

Rzeppa 08-21-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcdoran (Post 237846)
Hey Jeff. I'm thinking about joining this. I'm not a member yet but need to get my first run in anyway. Are you doing this regardless of group size?

Absolutely! Group size on this run is typically anywhere from 5-15 rigs. I think the most we ever had was about 18 and the least was 3. We'll have a nice time having lunch at the lake and hiking around a bit. The wildflowers should be awesome due to the wet summer we've had.

dcdoran 08-21-2013 11:37 AM

Great, thanks! And it should be just fine for my stock 2007 4runner? I have mild experience taking it out. Argentine Pass, Boreas Pass (mostly dirt), Kingston Peak, Oh My God Road, and a few other easier ones. I have to get some slight maintenance (window won't roll down) done tomorrow and then I should be all set.

Rzeppa 08-24-2013 05:08 PM

I had a lot of people come up to me today at the Rally asking about this run, where and when to meet, what the trail was like, how long it will take and so forth. I would not be surprised if we end up with a dozen or more rigs tomorrow. Anyone reading this thinking about coming, it is shaping up to be a fun run with a good number of trucks.

Remember, you don't have to be a Rising Sun member to come on our runs, just have a (preferably Toyota, but we take other makes) 4x4 that can do the trail and a desire to have a good time in a responsible way.

nuclearlemon 08-24-2013 06:48 PM

since i absolutely abhor floyd hill and hate the idea of pushing our little f135 up and over it, we'll probably hook up with you guys closer to empire. i'm assuming you're getting off at the downieville exit, so maybe pighead will want to get his 10 cent coffee at the gas station or we'll pull off by the red elephant trail head or something.

Rzeppa 08-24-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearlemon (Post 238029)
since i absolutely abhor floyd hill and hate the idea of pushing our little f135 up and over it, we'll probably hook up with you guys closer to empire. i'm assuming you're getting off at the downieville exit, so maybe pighead will want to get his 10 cent coffee at the gas station or we'll pull off by the red elephant trail head or something.

No, not Downieville. To get to the Bill Moore Lake Trail trailhead we will exit I-70 on US-40 and turn right in the middle of Empire to go up to the start of the trail.

If you don't like doing Floyd Hill on I-70, US-40 is always a mellower route parallel to I-70.

nuclearlemon 08-25-2013 07:31 AM

ok, we'll find someplace along the way to meet up. we're going to go through the canyon

Rzeppa 08-25-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearlemon (Post 238036)
ok, we'll find someplace along the way to meet up. we're going to go through the canyon

Glad you made it! I had a great time wheeling with you guys! :thumb: